Friday 3 January 2020

Last Finish of 2019

     We have entered that time of the year in southern Ontario where it is getting hard to get decent photos of our quilts and this year it is even harder as our usual snow covering has been replaced with rain and dampness.  But I am excited to share this finish with you because it has been a long time in the making.



     This is my version on the Penny Patch quilt.  I started it in 2013 ( I think) in a quilt along with Rachel Houser of Stitched in Color.  This was the first quilt along I joined in and it is pre blog.  Rachel shared really good tips on choosing colours and getting balance in the quilt.  I learned a lot about colour from participating and I think those lessons have done me well.  I'm looking forward to purchasing Rachels book The Quilters Field Guide to Color in the near future.





     I finished the quilt top in May of 2015 and it sat in the to be quilted pile until October when I quilted it on the Sweet 16.
It's lightly quilted with the dogwood pattern that Rachel used on her original quilt.  I used a 50 weight light pink Aurifil thread and a Hobbs 80/20 batting.


     There are so many things I love about this quilt.  I love the balance of colours and I love that the background is a mixture of low volume neutrals, white, cream and grey. I also love that my quilting is improving and that my enjoyment of the quilting process has moved from fear to confidence.
I'll be linking this finish up to Brag about your Beauties, to TGIFF which is hosted at Devoted Quilter this week, and I think it qualifies for the 4th quarter FAL so I'll link up with Sarah Goer Quilts as well.  But if it doesn't, no worries. The original post is here.

15 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It looks wonderful, Lisa. I love the mix of colors and the quilting fits it beautifully.

Danette said...

This quilt looks so cute and comfy! Enjoy your finish!

Leanne Parsons said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous finish, Lisa! The colours really are beautiful and your quilting looks great :)

piecefulwendy said...

I understand the struggles with the season and the photos, but you've captured the beauty of your quilt well. I love the soft colors with that pop of bright from the coral fabric. Another nice finish, Lisa!

Louise said...

It's so lovely! The soft, muted colors are wonderfully soothing and calming. Your quilting looks great, and I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying the process more and more. That's fabulous! :)

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It looks great. So glad you're starting to feel more comfortable...the orange peels look great.

Pamela said...

Wonderful finish! I like reading the story behind the quilt.

Stitchin At Home said...

A beautiful quilt! Love all those lovely neutrals! Your quilting looks great!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh it looks so great!! I really like those colors together!!

Bernie Kringel said...

Beautiful quilt Lisa! Those colors are perfect. Rachel has a great way with color - I didn't know she had a book out. I need to check that out.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Very sweet quilt, pretty fabrics

Angela Atkins said...

Love this quilt. I made one of these too, and love how different they look depending on what colors and fabrics are used. Looking at yours, I may go back and try it again!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Very pretty! Love your quilting! I like the way you photographed the entire quilt.

Laura said...

It is a beautiful quilt! I love the soft colors.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

As soon as I saw this project, I knew it was a Penny Patch! The palette you used here is lovely, and I like the way you oriented the four-patches to make some strong diagonal lines across the quilt. Beautiful!