Sunday 5 January 2020

January Goal

     It's time for me to choose a goal for January and I have decided to borrow something Rebecca Grace is doing on her blog Cheeky Cognoscenti. She gives herself one piecing goal, one quilting goal and one garment making goal.  I am going to give myself a goal in each of these areas as well, but I will choose one to be my OMG.

My quilting goal will be to make headway on my stacked coins quilt.  My garment making goal is to cut out the pattern pieces for the Emerson Pants and my piecing goal which will be my OMG for January is to cut out the pieces for the City Harbour Quilt and sew 1/2 the rows.


     This may not seem like a big goal but there are several other projects keeping me busy this month as well and I am scheduled to work one Saturday which eats up one whole day of sewing.
     One reason for choosing this project for my goal is that I am trying to use up more of my stash.  As I just ordered fabric for Yvonne's Push Pull Quilt Along and for the Quilters Planner Quilt Along, I decided I better jump into making something from the stash.  I want to set up good habits early in the year. Making up this quilt seems like a good start and I think it will come together quickly.  
     This past weekend I put together two quilt backs entirely from stash and I am using some fabric from my stash for the Planner quilt but the fabric buying is higher than the fabric used so far.
     Speaking of habits, I am also using my planner to pencil in times during my week for doing specific things. I can see how spending most of my Tuesday afternoons working on the sit down long arm has improved my quilting skills and confidence so I am planning  creative play time on Wednesday mornings and a time on Friday mornings to make myself healthy snacks.   Time will tell If I can stick to these plans or if I need to work out something else.
I'm linking my post to the January OMG linkup over at Patty's blog.

11 comments:

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

That's a great way to set goals. Thanks for sharing the tip. I forgot about the Quilter's Planner quilt...need to find fabric.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You have chosen wonderful fabrics for the city planner quilt. I like your method of goal setting. Putting it on the calendar does help make sure that progress on the goals actually happens.

Stitchin At Home said...

Your method of goal setting is a good idea.

Danette said...

The City Harbour Quilt looks lovely. It is great to set goals like this. I am trying to keep myself organized this year, also, with goals.

Chantal said...

I think you have the magic recipe for keeping goals; writing them down with an allowed time to do it. Good luck with your goals and your stash busting. ;^)

Louise said...

That's a neat pattern! What book is it from? Love the dark solids and how they intermingle :)

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, that's going to be a pretty quilt, Lisa. I like your idea of scheduling specific things each week. I need to consider doing that too!

Cheryl said...

I love the idea of having a piecing, quilting, and garment project to work on. I think that you will make great progress this month.

Laura said...

I'd like to use up some stash too, but I'm not as good at goal setting as you. One a month is about all I can handle!

Patty said...

Love those blues! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Kaja said...

I like this approach to goal setting a lot. I always have one thing I'm piecing and one I'm quilting but adding the garment making in allows for finishes when there wouldn't otherwise be any. Good luck with working this way in 2020.