Wednesday 22 January 2020

Just Past the Midpoint of the Month

     I have been sewing quite a bit lately but I'm working on so many things at once that I haven't gotten things to a point where I have much to share.  So I thought I would share some progress.
     One of my goals this year is to play more and it is my intention to spend some time each Wednesday playing with fabric and exploring something for myself. 


     I have been wanting to play around with log cabins for a while and I made this piece improvisationally, meaning I figured out what I was doing as I went along.  I chose to work with my purple scraps so I could share my work with Sarah Goer's new link up Show Me Something....which for this month is Show Me Something Purple.  I'll see if I get the project a little farther along before I link it up.  

     Showing up for Creative Play on Wednesdays has been an interesting and insightful process.  When I work with improvisation I work really slowly, thinking about each piece as I cut and place it. It puts me in a different zone and I really love it.  You would think that I would jump at the chance to do this.  But no I have to push my self to start and then I love it.  There is a part of me that just wants to finish up those other routine projects that are waiting in the wings.

     I also have to make sure that I take that time for me and that I don't give it up.  One week  I gave up the time to get some housework done before my husbands cousin came to stay with us.  I told myself I would have plenty of time to work the creative play into the weekend, but things came up and it didn't happen.


     I have also been working on the Mosaic Mystery and here are the blocks slapped up on the design wall.  I just wanted to share a glimpse here.  I still have a couple of blocks to do before I put the top together.


     And this lovely pile represents my progress on my One Monthly Goal .  I've actually exceeded the goal and I think I can get the whole quilt top done before the end of the month.
This project is City Harbour and it is from the book City Quilts,by Cheri House.
     I have no photos to share but I have been working on free motion quilting the stacked Coins Quilt and making slow but steady progress. Although at the rate I am going it will take me forever to get it done so I may need to work out some extra time on Sweet 16 into my schedule. I have been practising using the ruler for straight lines and going over several repeating motifs in the coins.  I'll try to remember to bring something I can take a good picture with when I go to Wendy's next Tuesday.
    So that's my progress for now.  I hope to have at least some completed quilt tops to share for next week.

Lisa

6 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It looks like great progress to me. I really like the log cabin block and look forward to seeing how it continues to evolve as you take the time for improv on Wednesdays. It can be so hard to carve out time for ourselves, can't it? Even a small thing like reading a paragraph or two out loud to my husband each day (my current daily slow down for grounding us when he gets home from work) is something that isn't fully sticking yet. We just have to keep practicing, right??

piecefulwendy said...

It's so easy to think we can just sneak that creative play time in, but then life's busyness just gets in the way. I'm glad you are scheduling time for creative play. Being thoughtful about improv is just fine. I wonder whether you won't find it a faster process the longer you play with it. Either way, that's not the important part. It's that you find joy and pleasure in it. I love the block, by the way!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I like the colors in your Mosaic Mystery!

Vicki in MN said...

So nice that you are able to find time to just play with your scraps, it does slow us down a bit. And we need that.

Bernie Kringel said...

I am working on the Mosaic top as well and have almost all the rows stitched together. It looks great so far. Your colors are wonderful. Enjoy the weekend Lisa!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I like that log cabin block. Great idea to dedicate one day a week for creative play. Have fun.