Wednesday 31 July 2019

Mid Arm Progress


     How's this for simple beauty?  Patricia pieced this quilt top  from a layer cake of lovely tan, cream and light teal batiks and donated it to our comfort quilt program. I decided it would be a perfect piece to practice free motion quilting on our Mid Arm. I finished it about a month ago and left it at Wendy's. She trimmed it and put the binding on using a co-ordinating batik she had in her stash.



     I quilted a boomerang pattern, quilting across the quilt. I am pleased with my progress as my stitch length is getting more consistent and my movements  more fluid. This quilt was a lot smaller than the last one I worked on which made the quilting feel really easy.  The next quilt in line is a bigger one again. I haven't been on the machine since quilting this one.  I've been quite busy this summer and  I've been finding I want to spend a bit more time chilling at home.  Mid way through August I hope to get back to using the midarm and midway through September when I cut back on work I hope to use it once or twice a week.  There will be no stopping me then.



     Like all the donation quilts we make, this one will be heading to the sexual assault/domestic violence unit housed at the local hospital.  I'm linking up with Brag About Your Beauties  TGIFF and Finished or not Friday.

10 comments:

Pamela said...

Both the quilting and the quilt are gorgeous. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Marly said...

Lovely work from all of you. I'm impressed how you have divided the tasks in this team effort for distressed people.

Stitchin At Home said...

A great looking quilt and quilting for a worthy cause!

Cheryl said...

The quilting looks great, it will give a lot of texture once washed.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It looks great. Hope you're having fun playing with it.

piecefulwendy said...

Love the calm colors of the fabrics in this quilt. A nice finish, Lisa!

Louise said...

Beautiful quilt! I love those soft batiks, and your quilting looks super. I'll have to remember that "boomerang" shape for big squares.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great way to practice, with all those nice big squares to quilt. Love that you call them boomerangs! Fun quilting!!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a great idea to sew the layer cake squares together - make the fabric do the work. That is a really pretty quilt and a great way to practice your quilting.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Good for you for working on that muscle memory! And you're right, once you have more free time, there will be no stopping you!