Friday 19 July 2019

First Finish of the 3rd Quarter

     This is me standing in my friend Wendy's backyard wearing my new cotton knit top.  It's Kwik Sew K3802.



          I made the top at Wendy's because she owns a serger and also because she is a great seamstress and can help me when I have issues.  I have limited experience with making clothes.  I'm pretty pleased with the result although I think the bottom is a bit stiff, which I think is because I used a cotton knit.   This hem style is around in a lot of ready made clothing at the moment and it seems to look best in softer fabrics, like rayon or bamboo. The hemline has softened a bit with washing and I'm hoping that will continue. I have enough of the cotton left over to make a tee shirt.  This is awesome as I paid about $36 Canadian for the fabric. For the most part, I find making clothing to cost more than buying clothing, so it's nice when you can score a deal like this. Wendy is really good at noticing the bargains in our local Len's shop.

     I'm including a photo of the pattern so you can see a better view of the hemline. It's the one on the left.




     The top is my first finish during Quarter Three of the 2019 Finish Along, the original list is here.  I'll be linking with TGIFF over at Faith and Fabric this week and with Bragg about your Beauties and with the Q3 Finish along linkup. Also as this is the only complete finish I managed all month I'm linking it up with the Favourite Finish linkup as well.





16 comments:

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I'm no garment maker, so I'm all sorts of impressed by this finish! Plus, you've already ticked a project off your Q3 list -- woo hoo!

chrisknits said...

Awesome finish! I need to get back to making clothes, sleeves are never long enough!! LOL. But without a serger I am reluctant, who wants to finish off the edges without a serger?

Marly said...

Great finish; it suits you! About the hem I don't have any clear advice; I always found sewing knitted fabrics tricky. I had the idea that I was stretching the fabric while sewing the seam or hem. Now I think I should perhaps have reduced the pressure on the pressure foot and/or used a longer stitch length, but that's just a theory that hasn't been tested.

Lisa C said...

Congratulations. I used to make clothing all the time but it's pretty easy for me to find things to fit so I just buy them now and save my sewing time for quilting. Great job!

Kathy S. said...

That's super cute. Congrats on your first Q3 finish.

piecefulwendy said...

I love it, Lisa, and it's so fun to see you modeling it! I'll bet it will soften over time. It fits you really well! Great job!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa! Yowza! A third quarter finish already. I would call you an overachiever but that would sound mean, and I don't mean it to be. Woot woot! You go girl! It's a great finish AND you look great in it. ~smile~ Roseanne

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Super cute top, Lisa! I love that hem. I'm planning on doing some clothes sewing, but quilting keeps tugging me in!

Stitchin At Home said...

A great job on your cute top! I don't know the last time I sewed any clothing.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It looks great. Congrats on tackling clothing!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

it is a great make, well done. I would love to make more clothes, I do have a serger but it is still in the box !

Shannon said...

What a cute top! I love the hem on it! And what a score that you still have enough fabric left to make a t-shirt!!

Unknown said...

Nice job. My clothing making seems to stop at having an idea, a pattern and fabric. You completed the project, go you!!!

BarefootThunder said...

very nice top. I recently purchased a similar pattern. I have not gotten brave enough to try it yet.

Bernie Kringel said...

LIsa, This is so pretty!! I agree with you - it is usually less expensive to purchase clothes than to make them but I love the challenge of making something to wear. Great finish!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Great pattern and an awesome finish! Congratulations!!