Sunday 30 June 2019

June Goal Done!

     By the time most of you see this post it will be Canada Day and that means a long weekend! Yay. Happy Canada Day everyone. I will be spending the day sewing with my two quilting friends. I spent the rest of the weekend on an overnight trip to the countryside with Dwight.   We went for a couple of walks in the woods stayed at a a lovely B and B in Flesherton.  Today we visited our friends for lunch at their cottage on Lake Huron.  We returned home this evening feeling quite refreshed, so a perfect time away.
     I finished my June goal on Friday but I haven't had time to write about it until now.  Here's my improv pieced table runner I made for my co worker Brenda.  I was intending to give this to her in January so it's a tad late.



          I'm happy with how it turned out and I'm sure that she will love it.  I started with the Charlie Harper chickadee fabric.    All the supporting fabrics where chosen from colours in the chickadee fabric.  Because Brenda has a lot of light colours in her house I decided to use the lighter blue fabric as the background.
     I love working in an improvisational manner, starting with a few fabrics and placing them together, watching the piece grow and making decisions as I go along. It's a slow process but I really enjoy it. This picture gives you an idea of how the project started and the fabrics I started with.


     You can see that a few other fabrics managed to sneak their way in as things went along. 



     I quilted straight lines with my walking foot using a light blue, 50 weight Aurifil thread. The quilting went well, or so I thought until I flipped the quilt over to see this.





      I know I'm not the first quilter to sew something to the back of their quilt and truth be told it's not the first time I've done this.  It did slow the finish down, but you can see that I managed to remove it and patch things up pretty well.



     I'm linking up with the One Monthly Goal June linkup, with TGIFF and with Bragg About your Beauties. This is my third finish for the second quarter of the  2019 Finish Along.  The original post is here.

12 comments:

la tulipe said...

I Love your quilt and how you play with the basic fabric!

Stitchin At Home said...

I agree improv takes time at least for me. Love the piece!

Chantal said...

Congratulations on this cute finish. I love how you choose and played with the colors. It is well balanced. Great work. Sounds like you had a lovely away too. ;^)

Vicki in MN said...

I love it! I love seeing others' improv work, but I just don't feel like I can do this. I don't think mine would ever turn out good looking.

Patty said...

Happy Canada Day! The improv runner is fantastic. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Anonymous said...

Your tablerunner is lovely. I like the fussy cutting.

O'Quilts said...

The top pix with the red window is great art...good job

piecefulwendy said...

Love the quilt, Lisa. I'm sure she'll love it. Who knows? Someday part of the quilting improv process might be purposely sewing extra pieces to the quilt. Haha! You're just a trendsetter :-) Just kidding -- you did a great job of removing it well!

Louise said...

Oh, no! I hate when that happens! Did you carefully snip it out, leaving the quilting in place? Or rip the stitches and re-do them?

The runner turned out really great! Have you given it to Brenda yet? I'll bet she loves it :)

Marly said...

Lovely finish Lisa. It's so satisfying when improv all comes together, isn't it. I love the mix of fabrics use chose.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Congratulations on your lovely finish! Well, January is still ahead ;))

Debbie said...

Such a beautiful piece. Love its improvisational creation. It's my favorite too.