Friday 7 June 2019

A Friday Finish in June

     I have a special finish to share with you. This quilt, as simple as it is, represents my online quilting journey in a couple of ways.


     I guess I can say it started with Rachel Houser of Stitched in Color, but I'll get back to her later.  For now I'll say it started with Cheryl Brickey of Meadowmist Designs.  You see back in 2015 I was a pretty new and tentative quilt blogger. Quite unsure of myself and where I fit in.  Cheryl put out a call for pattern testers. Filled with a new bravery to try things, I offered to pattern test Grande Scrappy Tiles and participated in my first blog hop.


     I wanted to do a great job on my pattern testing and I chose my fabrics using a technique I learned from Rachel Hauser when I participated in her Penny Patch Quilt along.  See, I told you I would get back to her.  I think I did a great job on my colour and fabric choices and I love so many of the fabrics in this quilt.  I have not met Rachel but I believe she is also down to earth.  I have taken two of her online courses and I still have the great resources that came with those classes.


     I also wanted the quilt to finish nicely so I paid extra attention to my 1/4" seams.  I started to become a more accurate piecer.



      Grande Scrappy Tiles was the second quilt I chose to quilt on our mid arm, and the first of my own.  My goal for the quilting was to try out a bunch of different designs and to get comfortable using the machine.  It took several sessions at Wendy's place to finish the quilting and I I can say that I am much more comfortable with the machine. It's a pretty big quilt 72" by 72" and there are several issues with tension and stitch length but I know that these things will improve with practise.  This quilt marks the beginning of my journey with mid arm quilting and I am pleased with the result, warts and all.



          I love this quilt and I will be keeping it at my place. I'm thinking it will be a great quilt for our grand boys when they are a bit older and stay over at our place. At the moment we always go to their place when we babysit.  It's Friday so I will be linking my post  with TGIFF which is hosted this week by Leanne at Devoted Quilter,  and with Bragg About Your Beauties with Michelle of From Bolt to Beauty.  I wonder who else will be there.
    This is also my second finish for quarter 2 of the 2019 FAL so I'll be linking up there as well, a bit later in the month.  I wonder if I can squeeze another finish in....maybe a small one.

13 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Lovely quilt, great colors and very well balanced layout, and the curvy floral background fabric you chose balances the straight piecing lines of the quilt top beautifully. Well done!

Pamela said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish. Thanks for telling the story!

Cheryl said...

I love it! The colors are wonderful and I really like all of the different quilting designs you used in the squares.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa! What a pretty finish you are sharing with us today. I love all the different fabrics you selected - those pops of yellow are welcome and set on a different path from being a R/W/B piece. I think it is great that you are keeping it for yourself. Your grandsons will feel all the love that you carefully stitched into this piece, and I think your quilting looks great. You'll always look upon this piece and smile. ~smile~ Roseanne

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Such a fun and interesting quilt! Great variety in FMQ, too. Great finish, Lisa! Your grandsons will enjoy using it, especially with all those bright colors going on!

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun post to read, and your quilt is lovely. I always forget about those two linky parties. Rats. Anyway, you did a great job on this quilt, and I'm glad you are keeping it. Those grandboys will enjoy it, I'm sure!

Louise said...

Lisa, I love everything about this quilt! Fun pattern, great fabric choices, fantastic backing, and super color palette. And of course your sampler of quilting motifs is just wonderful! Thanks for sharing the story of this important quilt. And yes, it *IS* important as a big set of milestones in your quilting journey. I'm glad you're keeping it to revisit that path while snuggling with your grandsons :)

Leanne Parsons said...

I love the colours you chose and the quilting designs are all so fun! I bet your grandsons will really enjoy snuggling with such a beautiful quilt :)

Raewyn said...

What a great story behind this lovely quilt Lisa! I love all the fmq you did on it too - it's made it a very unique piece. I"m sure those boys will enjoy snuggling under it :-)

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Wonderful in so many ways! Congrats on trying new things and a great finish (and cheers to keeping quilts to love)

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Well done!! The quilting looks great. You'll get more comfortable with practice. Have fun.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I'm really into the palette here. And you used that awesome red ninja fabric ... LOVE!

Sew of Course said...

What a wonderful quilt! Well done on finishing, and on learning new things with the project. And thank you for participating in the FAL!