Sunday 22 December 2019

Goals and Plans for 2020




  2019 has been for me, a year of transition.  In June I gave up co chairing the community outreach committee of my traditional guild. I'm still involved in the committee and spend a fair bit of time sewing quilt backs together, but have less organizational stress.  In late September I turned 65 and cut my work hours to 2 days a week.  I have more time on my hands and more space in my head and I am still working my way through what this all means for me.  I also have less money so that is another consideration.
     A few weeks ago something happened with the computer account and I wasn't able to use it for a while.  This was a different kind of stress and transition.  Thanks to my friend Scott things seem to be working properly now, but for a while there I as thinking of giving up blogging all together. These weeks of forced separation from the blogging world was an eye opener for me as I realized how much time I was spending on the internet and the reasons for that which include missing my more active life, and boredom.  This is the context I bring to my goal setting.

     Looking back to my goals for 2019 I have to laugh, because I always think I can do more than any reasonable person could.  I did however make progress in two of my goals.  My machine quilting is getting much better, thanks to regular sessions on the sitdown long arm this fall and I have tried my hand at a couple of creative challenges, with one of my mini quilts being published in Curated Quilts.
    
      But on to 2020, and my thoughts about where I would like to go from here.  In 2020 I would like to:

1.  Continue working on my machine quilting every Tuesday afternoon and sometimes additional days.
2.  Continue participating in creative challenges as they arise and spike my interest.  Examples are Curated quilts, Canadian Quilters Association and dare I say Quilt Con?
3.  Aim for one blog post a week, and unless I'm sick in bed limit blog reading and writing to a couple of times a week.
4.  Start using up the stash in a more aggressive manner.
5.  Continue working my way through the great backlog of projects I already have. (see goal 1)
6.  Work play and experimentation  into my quilting life a bit more. ( Figure out a regular time to do this)
7.  On non working days go for a 30 to 40 minute walk, during the winter do this close to noon, in the summer when it's less hot.
8.  Arrange to do things with other folks who are home during the week.
9.  Be flexible, keep singing silly songs with the grandkids and have fun!  Linking up with Yvonne of Quilting JetGirl and the 2020 goal planning party.

11 comments:

Chantal said...

Those are wonderful accomplishments in 2019. Congratulations! I wish you all the best for 2020, love, health, happiness and lots of silly songs sessions. ;^)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Lisa...you are ready for the new year! I like all your creative play time...and as a walker....I have to agree on your times of going:) Have fun welcoming the new year!

Raewyn said...

With a new year approaching, it's a perfect time for reflection ...your goals sound doable and very balanced. And I love #9!! I need to do some thinking on my goals for 2020. Good luck with your goals and best wishes for a very Merry Christmas.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Singing silly songs with the grandkids and having fun sounds like a great life goal to me! I hope that you find a rhythm that you enjoy creatively in 2020, but at the same time it leaves you open and flexible to say yes to new opportunities as they arise. All the best in the new year for you!

piecefulwendy said...

You have given some thought to your priorities, Lisa, and you have some good goals ready for 2020. I think the silly songs with the grandkids will be a favorite. I hope you continue to post now and then, since I so enjoy seeing what you are making! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Stitchin At Home said...

Seems to me you are approaching the new year with some great goals. But you are also leaving time for play and less stress. Continue with the silly songs I do the same with my grandkids. Merry Christmas!

Vicki in MN said...

I am glad you are still going to blog, we'd miss you. But I agree the internet can really suck up our time! But for me that is my social time;) Have a wonderful Holiday season.

Louise said...

I'm very glad you didn't give up on blogging completely, although I understand the temptation when the computer is giving you fits. I hope you find 2020 brings you peace and satisfaction with your journey :)

Rachel said...

Congratulations on having your mini published in Curated Quilts! What an honor. Good luck with your 2020 goals!

Melanie said...

Love that last goal: Sing silly songs :) Wishing you good luck with all your goals and all the best for 2020! xo Melanie

www.mellmeyer.de

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great goals for 2020. I wish you luck. I'm not ready to retire yet (well maybe I am LOL), but I can retire as of July 1, 2020. So that's a good feeling knowing I can if I wanted to. Have a great week.