Sunday 11 August 2019

August goal update

     I set myself a simple August goal for a couple of reasons.  One reason was that I thought I would need to spend a lot of time this month working on my part of the Modern Quilt Guild's charity quilt. Another reason was that Dwight and I where going to be away for the better part of a week.  Usually when I take time off in the summer, he is working and I sit around at home and sew.  Still another reason for the simple goal was that I had some concerns about how my 8 sisterhood blocks, all paper pieced by different quilters, was going to come together.  I was overthinking it.



    On the weekend before the vacation start I managed to complete 1/3 of my part of the charity quilt in an easy afternoon of sewing so I decided to just sew the sisterhood blocks together come what may and see if I could live with the result.  The result wasn't perfect but I decided I could live with it and that the imperfections added to it's folksy charm.  To further add to it's folksy charm I decided I would try my hand a big stitch quilting.  This would be the perfect project to take on vacation with me.



     As I have not done a lot of hand quilting I stuck to a colour that blended in so you will have to strain to see it.  It's Aurifil cotton embroidery floss that I won in a link up with Quilting JetGirl a couple of years ago.  I used three strands and the colour is 6722 which is a creamy white.
     Even though he was on vacation we still spent an hour to an hour and a half on two different occasions on a job site.  Normally this would drive me snaky but as it was at a nice location in Grey County just south of Georgian Bay, I happily sat in the car and worked on my hand quilting.  I also worked on it in the evening.
     It was a good little vacation.  We stayed at the Lavender Hills B&B where the host is a trained Chef and Baker, yum yum.  He also has a herd of goats and alpacas which added to the entertainment value in the evening when we relaxed on the patio.  We went on a 2 hour canoe trip on a very lazy river and a couple of hikes.  It was great to be out in nature, and to spend some time together.  I'm going to try to finish my quilting for this project as my new to myself goal this month.  I'm linking with Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts and with UFO Busting at Tish's Adventures in Wonderland.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, you have been productive. And that trip sounds great :) I love the big stitch quilting and especially that you choose a blending thread color. It is obvious enough to make it special but not too crazy to distract from the nice blocks :) xo Melanie

www.mellmeyer.de

Teresa said...

Sounds like a great, relaxing trip. I like your block..so cute!

Louise said...

I love the idea of big stitch quilting on your sisterhood piece! It really looks great so far :)

piecefulwendy said...

Sounds like a peaceful and restful getaway, Lisa. I agree that big stitching your sisterhood quilt is a great idea, and it's looking good!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your sister are looking so modern and upbeat! And yes, sounds like a relaxing vacay, too!

Robin said...

Those sisterhood blocks are adorable. The big stitch is just the right touch.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Good luck with the hand quilting. Sounds like you've been having some fun in nature.

Jill said...

Nice getaway. Love the fun EPP blocks. I enjoy big stitching and hope you do also.

Karrin Hurd said...

Sounds like a good time away. Love the sisterhood blocks!

Stitchin At Home said...

Stitching and vacation time sounds like you got it all covered. Like how your blocks came together they look great.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh Lisa that sounds like a wonderful getaway!
Are you liking the big stitch?!?