Tuesday 28 May 2019

Still Quilting Along

     This year I decided to do the Summer Sampler quilt along.  This is despite the fact that I have yet to finish the other two quilt alongs I joined this year.



     The appeal of the Summer Sampler is  the skill building aspect of this.  I didn't want to think about colour for this sampler so I purchased a kit from Mad About Patchwork. Even though last week was fairly busy, I am happy to say that I managed to finish the first block within the week. The block was designed by @lynncarlsonharris. A lot of people struggled with this block and I learned from their trials.The summer sampler folks also point you to lots of online resources to improve your skills.  I did a really good check on my quarter inch seams so the tiny piecing turned out the right size. 
      I used Best Press on all the fabrics that needed to be cut on the bias.  Despite all this, in true quilty confession I'm letting you know that the block is not quite square.  The first triangular border I pieced turned out a bit small in the width.  The other borders turned out ok as I became more comfortable with the technique. I haven't decided yet if I will redo that border before I put the quilt together or if I will try to iron it into submission.
     One of the things I did in my busy week was go to a workshop on disappearing nine patch variations with @billstearman.  He will be giving similar workshops at Quilt Canada in June.  Bill also gave a talk at our guild and he is a really interesting guy.  He's only been quilting for about 5 years and he has all sorts of quilts juried into shows including the Canadian Quilters Association and Quilt Con.  He makes a lot of incredibly interesting quilts with variations on the disappearing nine patch.  Here are two of my class samples.


     Both blocks are made with Bill's hand dyed fabrics.  The block below is made with Indigo.  Isn't it gorgeous.  Bill suggests that you make your samples into pillow covers and I will definitely make the Indigo block into a pillow cover.  I might just quilt up the one above and make it into a mini.


     There was a third sample as well but as I'm in full disclosure with the mishaps,  I managed to make an incorrect cut.  I still think my sample can be salvaged but I have put it aside for now.
     Well last week was pretty busy but this week will be busier yet.  Eli turns two on Wednesday so we are going there for dinner, and I believe our daughter will come back to spend a day or two at our place.  I'm out every evening but one this week, and back babysitting the boys on Friday.....so I think week two of the summer sampler is out of the picture for me...but no worries I'll muddle along as I always do.
     I know I promised you a finished quilt last week....but I decided to hand sew the binding slowing down the process on that.  With work, weeding and babysitting the finishes are slow and far between.

7 comments:

Pamela said...

You are busy! I love what you are working on, especially the indigo and white. Very appealing!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, you are busy, but it sounds like a fun kind of busy, at least with spending time with your daughter and grandkiddos. Those fabrics are so pretty; and I love your blocks. I'd go with pressing it into submission, but that's because I hate to rip! Haha. Just call me stubborn (it sounds better than lazy) - :-)

Louise said...

I'd really like to take a class on all the different "disappearing" blocks. Your nine patches turned into really interesting blocks. The Summer Sampler one is quite pretty, too. How tiny are those center pieces?

Stitchin At Home said...

I know first hand the joys of babysitting and am happy to do it. Love your disappearing block samples!

Preeti said...

Just two UFOs. That is an accomplishment of sorts, Lisa. Just because we have a UFO is no reason to not chase a squirrel. And when the blocks are so lovely, I'd encourage you right along. Love all your projects.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I, too, bought the Mad About Patchwork kit. So much easier than pulling the fabrics myself. But I haven't started on the blocks yet. That's this weekend's project....one of many LOL

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

an interesting block. I love the way it is a block within a block. I look forward to seeing this progress Lisa