Friday 22 March 2019

A Friday Finish!

     I came back from Quilt Con full of ideas and energy!  It was just what I needed.  But I came back to the news that things are not going so well for my friend with cancer.  I pretty much dropped all the work I was putting in to quilt alongs to finish her quilt.  Here it is on the front porch.  It's much too windy out and dirty out to risk hanging it anywhere.


     

     I chose the Pixellated heart pattern which is a free pattern from Robert Kaufman because I knew it would be a quick make and I needed to make it quickly.  I cut the heart fabrics which are two peach and two gold ombre confetti dots before going on our two week trip.  I chose colours that remind me of the clothes my friend likes to wear.  She's a red head.





     For the backing I chose this wild Kafe Fasset print of Feathers, also because I thought she would like it.  If nothing else it adds some brightness.  I used a light coral Aurifil thread that I picked up at a thread event at my local sewing machine shop.  If you ever get to go to an Aurifil event at a shop go.  It was really worth it.



     I used my walking foot on my domestic machine for this.  I did straighish line quilting diagonally through the blocks first then used the intersections of those lines to quilt horizontal and vertical lines with no marking on the quilt at all.  Thanks to Jaquie Gering for this technique.  

     I have continued to work on my longer term quilt alongs but I'm not concerned with keeping up with them, just enjoying the process.  And speaking of quilt alongs here's the prize I won for the Fireburst Mystery QAL which was hosted my Tish of Tish in Wonderland.

     

     Totally awesome, isn't it.  It's Shari Butler's collection "wistful winds of colour" from Aurifil thread.  It's 12 large spools of 50 weight.  Three of them a varigated.  It came with that thread chart which is also exciting.

I'm linking my finish to TGIFF which is hosted this week at Kathy's Kwilts and More , and to Brag about your Beauties link up with Michelle of From Bolt to Beauty  This is my first finish of the 2019 FAL first quarter list.  The original some what lengthy list is here.  I just may squeeze in one more finish before the end of this quarter.  We will see.


20 comments:

Alison V. said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! The simple quilting is just perfect for this quilt.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa! Ooh, that collection of thread is just delicious looking. Lots of creativity there! Your quilt finished up so nicely. I love the crosshatch and straight line quilting. It is one of my favorites to do, and I'll be hopefully completing some this weekend myself. Enjoy your weekend. ~smile~ Roseanne

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I can tell the quilt is packed with love and care for your friend.

What an awesome thread collection to have won; congratulations. I definitely look forward to seeing all the quilts you make with the thread!

Danette said...

Your quilt is lovely! I'm sure your friend will love it! Congratulations on winning that awesome thread collection, too!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Very lovely quilt for your friend! I like how you quilted it a lot. And I just saw that fabric on the back for the first time recently--very interesting!!!! I pray for her health and well being.

Cherie Burton said...

I'm sorry to hear friend is not doing well. I'm sure your quilt will give her some comfort and love during these trying days. I pray for the best. Jaquie Gering's walking foot techniques are the best. I've watched all her videos. Oh, and what I wouldn't do for that thread collection.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

A lovely quilt to wrap your friend in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your finish.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It's beautiful. The quilting suits it. What an awesome thread collection. Happy quilting.

piecefulwendy said...

The heart on your quilt glows! What a lovely gift for your friend; I'm sorry to hear she's not doing well. You will enjoy those threads in all those bright colors!

Nicole Hannah said...

I love the gradient in the heart, and the backing! I hope your friend can enjoy the quilt.

Pamela said...

It is totally awesome! I'm sure she loves it.

Stitchin At Home said...

A beautiful quilt made with love! All those lovely colours of thread, you'll love the thread chart. I use mine all the time.

Bernie Kringel said...

Such a beautiful and thoughtful gift Lisa. I hope it brings comfort to your friend. Love the colors and the quilting - all of it!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is so beautiful! I am sure she will love it, and will bring comfort to her!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, that's a lovely finish. Congrats!

Quilting Gail said...

You will use that awesome thread to make more beautiful projects! Congratulations!
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Preeti said...

Beautiful finish. Sunny and cheerful as if you are welcoming warmer temperatures and blue skies. And congratulations on your win :-)

Cheryl said...

Wonderful finish, What a great quilt and hug for your friend.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Lisa! There are so many things to congratulate on you here ... a gorgeous and thoughtful finish, a project quilted with no marking (amen!), and that box of yummy thread. I'm sure your friend will be touched by the time and care you poured into this gift for her.

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. The quilt is cheerful and lovely. What a kind gift. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.