Wednesday 16 January 2019

Goals for the First Quarter of 2019

     It's time to decide on some goals for the First Quarter of the 2019 Finish Along.  This time I'm going to link up with Nicole of Handwrought Quilts.  Like Nicole, I have participated in the FAL for a few years with some success and some failure.  Whether I succeed or not I find the FAL helps me to move my projects along, or tuck them away for later as I add or subtract projects when the year goes along.
 In addition to the FAL my local guild is holding its own finish along and because the projects are numbered and a number gets pulled out of the hat each month I'll have to list all five of them here.   

1.  This project is listed with the number that was drawn at the last meeting so I am going to do my best to quilt and bind the Grande Scrappy Tiles quilt I pattern tested for Cheryl  of Meadowmist designs a couple of years ago.



 The next four projects are also on the list and their numbers could potentially be drawn in February or March.   I'm taking a two week vacation in February however,  to drive to and from Quilt Con with my husband, so whatever number gets drawn in February has low odds for getting finished. Here they are.

2.Clam Shell.  This project has been up on the blog a couple of times as I try to move it toward completion.  


3.  I've been working on the Modern Melon quilt for quite some time as well.  Here's a pic of one block although I've made quite a few more.


4.   I started making this batik quilt many many years ago.  My husband's cousin Jenni has her sights on it and has been very patient.  I need to add top and bottom borders before quilting it.



5.  Row Addition.  The pattern is  from the Modern Plus Signs book by Cheryl Brickey and Paige Alexander.   So far I've picked the fabric but this fairly recent UFO is going to a baby (already born) so it's high on the list for completion, although I'm not sure what I did with the navy fabric on the bottom.


     In addition to the projects on the guild list, I have a few other projects vying for my attention.  

6. Last Saturday my workplace held it's Winter Holiday dinner.  We do a secret Santa gift each year.  Unfortunately my sewing machine stopped working two weeks before this, so I owe a present to a co worker.  I am going to make a table runner with this Charlie Harper fabric as a starting point. The other fabrics are possibilities as well. The odds are high for finishing as I gave the recipient a card saying they would have it within 2 weeks.  The baby spider plant in the photo is part of the gift I received along with a box of tea and some smartwool socks.



7.  When I cleaned out the sewing room cupboard the other day I came across this bag so it's going on the list as well.  I was really nervous about cutting the holes in the bag like about 100 years ago when I made this bag.  I'm a lot braver about things like that now so I think I can do it.


8. And while we are on the topic of bags I'm going to sew along with @johannaweidner when she holds her Bloem basket sew along in March.  These are  the fabrics I'll use for the basket.


9.  This last project is the hardest to write about and will have to be bumped up close to the top of the list.  I just found out that a previous co worker has cancer and I want to make her a quilt.  I'm thinking of a heart pattern using these fabrics which remind me of the colours she likes to wear.


I'm concerned with getting the quilt to her in a timely manner so I might opt for a quicker pattern.  Maybe a star pattern like the one I made for Rory here.

      Well I think that's more than enough so I will end my list here.  What's on your list?

  

13 comments:

Pamela said...

What a great list! You have some gorgeous fabrics and projects. You are so kind to make the quilt for your previous co worker (#9). I'm sure it will be appreciated very much.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I think it is awesome you are taking a 2 week vacation with you husband for QuiltCon. February is a very low sewing month for me for the same reason (QuiltCon). I hope you have a lot of fun working on these projects and I know I look forward to seeing what you are able to accomplish.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great list. I can't believe you're driving to QuiltCon. The adventure you'll have. Sorry to hear about your friend. I like the star quilt.

Janice Holton said...

Lots of fun projects to work on and I'm sure you will get many of them done this year! I'll be cheering you on!

Stitchin At Home said...

You have some fun projects on your list. How fun to be driving to Quilt con.

Louise said...

Lots of great projects here, and so much variety! I'm sorry to hear about your friend, though. I'm sure she'll appreciate a quilty hug.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa! That's a doable list and several items are very fun looking. I am really adoring those fabrics for number nine. Those are just beautiful and I hope they bring your friend some comfort. They will feel all the love you sew into it regardless of the pattern you use. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Bernie Kringel said...

This is such a great post. I can totally relate to your misplacing fabric, being afraid to punch the holes, etc. Sounds just like me. How great you are going to QuiltCon. Someday ....... Have a wonderful trip - I look forward to hearing about your experience!

Kaja said...

Hi Lisa, good luck with this list - I think your attitude is the right one (ie keep things moving forward but not beat yourself up if you don't meet every goal). Driving to Quiltcon sounds like a huge adventure.

Chiska said...

What a great list! I love that Charley Harper fabric. I have so many other things I need to finish, but I have a little stash of Charley Harper fabric that I'm still thinking about what to do with it.

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

That's a big list but I think it's always better to have a larger list that you can pick and choose from. Good luck with getting your projects done.

Preeti said...

Lisa, these are your goals but I felt the excitement as I read the post, especially with #3. Till I got to #9. I am sure that the star will make a lovely pattern and will cheer her up and the sparkle fabric may just be what the doctor ordered. Wishing you sunny days and lots of time to sew.

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I'm participating in Miss Love's Finishing School online right now and there's something to someone else picking the number that I find quite motivating. Your color choices for Grande Scrappy Tiles give it a Mondrian look. Safe travels to QuiltCon. Hope to see you there! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.