Sunday 17 June 2018

A quarter of a quarter

      Dwight and I had big plans for this weekend.  We had a date to get lots of work done in the garden and I had wanted to really clean up my quilting room after clearing out guild stuff but then bringing new guild stuff home.  Instead we were called upon to babysit the boys on Friday and Saturday.  I'm not complaining.  I love spending time with the boys but the only yard work that got done was at my son's house.  

 .   
    
     Today, Sunday we took my mother in law out to dinner as it was her birthday on Wednesday and we celebrated Father's Day at the same time.  When we got home we managed to water the transplants with buckets.  Man I hope it rains soon.

     I did make a start on one of the baby quilts.  I got one 24" square block sewn together, which is one quarter of a baby quilt. The baby quilt is one quarter of the Celestial Quilt from Cheryl and Paige's Modern Plus Sign Quilts book.  All my fabrics are directional so I am going to have to think out placement as I put each block together so I am taking my time. 

     I'll be linking up with Main Crush Monday, and with Let's Bee Social....then I think I'll check out more tutorials on the Tips and Tutorial's  link up hosted by Cheryl of Meadowmist Designs and Yvonne of Quilting Jet Girl.  I've already voted on one category and have two left.

18 comments:

Lisa J. said...

I'm leaving a comment so I get notification of comments while awaiting a blogger fix.

Stitchin At Home said...

I like your directional fabric and the colours you are working with. Yummy!

Jayne said...

Directional fabric is tricky, but I know you'll make it work. Love the back ground color too! The thing about yard work...it'll always be there tomorrow!

Tish Stemple said...

I think grandson time equals more fun than work for the win :) The baby quilt is coming along nicely. Could there be a baby quilt top finish in your very near future??

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the motion you created in the block using directional fabric. Taking your time and planning fabric placement is really going to pay off for impact in this quilt. It sounds like a nice weekend although not what you had originally planned; and I hope you get rain soon!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Your quilt is going to be beautiful! Time spent with grandchildren is always time well spent.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful baby quilt, I love your plusses!

piecefulwendy said...

I could send some of our rain your way. We've been getting quite a bit this weekend. Glad the diversion was your grandsons -- that makes it fun! I love that peach background on your block! So pretty!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

Directional fabric generally goes haywire for me, but yours is all going on the right way. This will be a lovely quilt when these blocks are put together

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Well I hope you got one of those thundershowers today. My rainbarrel overflowed..

Chantal said...

Love the movement in the plus. We got plenty of rain. If you're still in need, come and get it. ;^)

Louise said...

The plus signs look so great in that diagonal stripe! I wouldn't think to plan out what direction to cut them, good for you to be that intentional. It will be a lovely piece :)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your quilt is looking very interesting. I love plus quilts. Sorry you couldn't get in the garden, but I'm sure the boys were a lot of fun.

Nicole said...

Good luck with the directional fabrics!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. Sorry about the garden, but you'll get there. :) I like the look of that baby quilt and can't wait to see the finished quilt. Thanks for sharing it on MCM!

Kate said...

Very fun colors in your baby quit. Good luck with the directional fabrics, those can be a challenge.

Cheryl said...

Very fun! I love the background color and the print for the plus signs!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Life always gets in the way of sewing, but it sounds like you had a great play date. I haven't sewn in two weeks, and it's driving me crazy.