Yvonne of Quilting Jet Girl is hosting a mid year link up where we can share our progress with our 2016 goals. I've been thinking about about writing a post about my 2016 goals so the timing was perfect.
Any of you who have been following my blog for a while will know that my Aunt had a fall back in February and that her ongoing care has taken up quite a bit of my time and my mental and emotional energy. Things have settled down into a somewhat manageable rhythm for the mean time but I had made quite a lengthy and ambitious goal list and I've had to let go of major expectations around it. ( see goal 4 under self care)
So on to the goals section one quilting.
1. Complete at least one quilt a month. Well I knew this was a stretch and I haven't been able to do it. I've managed to complete three quilts totally on my own which is one every 2nd month.
My finishes are: Pick Up Sticks, Shoo Fly and Can't Cut With Scissors.
2. Design and make my own quilts, and quilt blocks.To help me with this goal I'll be reading Cheryl's Pattern Writing Blog Series starting in January, and I'll be mining the back posts on Yvonne's blog to re read her posts on block design. I'll be starting my own process by turning my contribution to the Fabri Quilt block challenge, the Graduated Cross Block into a quilt. I've bought the fabric to make a quilt using this block and I'm excited to get started on it.
I did read Cheryl's pattern writing series and I have managed to make the graduated cross into a quilt top. I've also played around a little bit with Quiltography, I joined the Facebook Group Quilt Design a Day (this was before the fall)
So I haven't let go of this but it's been slowed down.
3. Enter a quilt in to a show. One of the groups I am in has entered a group quilt into the show at the international ploughing match and I did contribute "Can't Cut With Scissors" into the Toronto Modern Guild display at the CQA show.
4. I'm really excited to be in Hive 8 of the Stash Bee. I enjoy the social aspects of blogging and hope this continues in the bee. My goal is to complete all my blocks on time. Totally rocking this goal. Yay!
5. Improve my quilting. Making Progress here as well.
6. Continue to explore Modern quilting techniques such as improv, negative grid and minimalism. Yep, this one is going along nicely.
7. Use my stash and come up with my own Stash Manifesto. I did come up with the manifesto and I think I'm doing a reasonable job with this goal. Thankfully I didn't promise not to buy fabric!
Section 2 blogging:
1. Post at least twice a week. I've done a pretty good job here.
2. Post a tutorial or two. Not yet.
3. Host a linky party. I hosted TGIFF and I believe I hosted this the week my aunt landed in the hospital so I should get a triple gold star for meeting this goal. I would have hosted a couple more but you have to pay a monthly fee to have further link ups and I wasn't sure I'd use the service enough this year to warrant that.
4. Learn how to get a working button into the body of a post. The years not over yet !
Section 3 self care.
1. Meditate daily. Nope. I'm not doing it.
2. Get some exercise. I haven't figured out what this one is going to look like yet..possibly aquafit, possibly hand held weights....at the very least I will do my knee strengthening exercises on a regular basis. It's a good thing I have to walk to and from work...but this goal was intended to be in addition to that and it's not happening.
3. Go back to keeping a gratitude journal. I have done this very sporadically but I did do a Five Things Friday post this week so that's something! Five Things Friday is hosted by Amanda of Gypsy Moon Quilts.
4. Retain my flexibility and don't get too anal about meeting all the goals. All I can say here is I'm glad I put this one in!
I'm linking my post to the 2016 Mid Year Review linkup
hosted by Yvonne of Quilting Jet Girl. I'm really glad I took the time to review my goals. I'm making better progress in many areas than I would have thought. I know that quilting and blogging are part of my self care but if I want to continue with these activities into a long future I'm going to have to spend more time in the other areas of self care.