Monday 5 November 2018

Keep on Keeping On

     For I think the 3rd month in a row I haven't gotten my goal done and I almost didn't bother to post one this month thinking that maybe I've been jinxing myself, but I actually started working on my October goal yesterday and I realized it would be fairly easy to finish it this month. So I'm giving it one more try.  I'll be working on the first month of the Sampler plus quilt along with Paige of Quilted Blooms and Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs.  Here's the proof that I've been working on it.




     I've been having a hard time with quilting and blogging and even reading blogs lately.  It's been a combination of a virus hanging around, burnout and grey skies.  However in the past week I've noticed a lot of positive resources coming to me and my quilting mojo is coming back.  Interestingly enough some of the resources have come through some newsletters I receive.  Through the Scrap Basket newsletter (A Quilter's Table) I was taken to this article on Diary of a Quilter. This was a guest post written by Samantha Dorn of Aqua Paisley studio. It's a post on five ways to make you feel motivated. My main take aways from this article were to show up and to start small.

     So I started small with this project.  It's a left over kit from the guild Bee Day.  It was an Eye Spy quilt top that was donated to us and was a little too small for our use.  It needed three rows added to the side and three rows added to the bottom.  I chose it partially because nobody else did, but also because I knew its bright colours and whimsy would help lift my mood.



     I thought it might be difficult to match the original makers 1/4" seam but it went together with no difficulty.



     It felt good to get another quilt top done for our outreach program.  This one will go to one of the few younger kids that the program serves.

     From there I moved on to the "ugly" fabric challenge and I'll share a sneak peak of the two quilts tops I came up with.



     Keep in mind that "ugly" fabric challenge was the name given to the challenge by the quilt shop owners who gave us the fat quarter in the first place.  The idea was to use a colour palette you wouldn't normally use.  My "ugly" fat quarter was the fabric with the browns and golds and blacks and it's in both quilts.   These are due on Thursday and I'm not sure if I will have them both quilted by then but I'll bring them along regardless.

     It feels good to be back in the sewing room and I'll share more of the good things that have helped to bring me back there in future posts.  I'll be off to work, once I link up with Patty of Elm Street Quilts. I hope you all have a great day and that you are open to the blessings that come your way.

14 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm so glad that some resources found their way to you and you were able to start small and keep going! :)

piecefulwendy said...

So good to hear that you are working your way back to your sewing mojo. Sometimes just not pressuring ourselves, and just playing, brings it back. I'm curious to see your ugly fabric challenge project. I think it would be a fun, but challenging project!

Pamela said...

Glad to see you are working on your quilts.

Louise said...

Even a little bit of stitching feels good, doesn't it? I like your "ugly fabric" piece :)

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Glad to see you're back! Your ugly fabric piece looks good from here - can't wait to see the finish!

Patty said...

November is the month! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Stitchin At Home said...

Nice to hear that your mojo is returning. All these gray skies lately it is easy to get down. Can't wait to see your ugly fabric challenge.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, hope your mojo will keep up. I think that this fall has been difficult for a lot of people. Good for you for trying again. Looks like you're going to succeed this time. It also helps to be feeling better. All the best and good luck!

Sharon - IN said...

Those little steps look to be getting you back into your quilting mojo! I think I lost mine back in February, but in September I said to my self, "Enough!" and pulled out some old UFOs to work on. So far it is working. I hope it does for you too. Your Eye Spy quilt looks great! And I do love that ugly fabric paired with the grunge! Thanks for the links, I'll be taking a look. Happy stitching!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I, too, had the same problem. It will pass. I finally cut all the pieces for the Plus Sampler and plan to get sewing this weekend. Good luck.

Nicole said...

Hang in there Lisa - remember quilting is supposed to be fun! One of my kids has a fleece scarf of the rainbow frogs that's nearly centre on the I Spy quilt.

Kaja said...

Well done for getting back to it. I find the longer I stop for, the harder it is to start again (blogging, quilting, the lot).

Val's Quilting Studio said...

my mojo has been down too....glad im in good company!