Friday 23 November 2018

A small finish

     I have a finish to share with you today.  It's a small finish, but it took me quite a time to make it and I love it.  It's a name tag.  I made it at a sewing meeting at my Modern Guild.  All  the fabric in this little project except for the Libs Elliot multi blue fabric is leftovers from other projects.   



      One of the  members of the guild had offered to write our names with Calligraphy, but she couldn't make it to the meeting, so I decided to improv piece my short name.  That was a tricky process with lots of scraps ending up in the garbage but it worked out in the end.  The other tricky bit was sewing down the binding on the front.  It's a pretty big name tag, 7" square.  I like the grey negative space around my name.  For the strap I re purposed the strap from the Quilt Con 2017 name tag..  I even kept some of the buttons I collected there.



     I put a plastic pocket on the back to stash things in.  Like draw tickets and things like that.  It was a fun make.  When I started the improv process, I thought, well if it doesn't work out I can do something different.  I've been doing a lot more sewing for fun.  Just showing up at the machine and working on things until I'm ready to stop.

   When I started blogging the slow movements were very much in vogue.  You know slow cooking , slow crafting and even slow blogging.  People had buttons on their blogs that said things like "I took the process pledge".  The idea was that in the fast paced world of work and the internet etc. we needed to slow down and create with our hands in order to nurture our souls.  That seems to me to be disappearing a little with a focus on getting multitudes of followers and posting quickly on instagram.  I've always loved reading blogs the most.

      When I lost my quilting and blogging mojo recently, I found a few things helped to bring me back. The monthly newsletter from Kim Soper of Leland Avenue Studios is one of those things.  Kim is very much interested in the creative process, and she is a slow quilter. Each newsletter comes with a project.  This months task is to think of 5 things every day that nurture your creativity and to give gratitude for those.  I haven't been doing this every day, but I have been doing it.  At first I thought 5 things a day would be too much, but I've come to realize that pretty much everything has an affect upon creativity.  So today I am thankful for my job which pays for my fabric, for my sewing room, for my husband who supports my craft, for my kids and grandkids who keep me happy, to the sunshine that also keeps me happy.  What nurtures your creative soul?

     Linking up with Michelle of From Bolt to Beauty for the Brag about your Beauties pageant.

16 comments:

Jayne said...

Cute name tag! It isn't easy making improv letters, but you did a stellar job! There are days or weeks when my mojo is no where to be found. I have learned that it does eventually come back and that is one thing I'm thankful for. Family is another. I've had the best of the best when it comes to encouragement from my family.

Alison V. said...

Very cute! :D

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa! What a great post to read today, and very fitting for the day after Thanksgiving. I think you did a fabulous job on your name tag (I almost typed nag - HAHA). It will be very useful along with handy for items those important little items. I am new to the blogging arena, and wasn't aware that it was going away. HAHA! I enjoy the whole process of the blog - keeping a log of what we're making and for who is just a small piece. More or most importantly to me has been the connection to other quilters throughout the world. Finding five things to be grateful for has also been easier for me since I started blogging as well. Each Thursday, sharing likes/loves for the week - some weeks I have so many I'm overwhelmed. Anyway - thanks for sharing this post today. Happy Happy Friday! I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving. ~smile~ Roseanne

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Your name tag turned out beautifully and I think the pocket on the back will come in super handy. I especially like that you varied the colors of the background behind the letters of your name. I am grateful for nurturing rain, my buddy Puppy (the cat), music, laughing with my husband, and hand lotion!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your name tag!

Louise said...

Great name tag! The clear pocket is such a good idea. Isn't it fun to work on a little project like that? Sometimes it's nice to have the break from a larger quilt.

I try to have zero deadlines with my quilting, although sometimes a new baby or a graduation gift can't wait. But for me, being able to work on exactly WHAT I want to, WHEN I want to, keeps it light and fun. I'm thankful for the inspiration that comes from the big, friendly, creative blogging world! Like you, I prefer blogs with their paragraphs of words over Instagram where a single photo is the focus.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Awesome nametag! Well done.

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun nametag, Lisa. I think those projects that just "become" are the best, and letting them set the pace is even better. I'm grateful we are having rain rather than snow, for my family, for a body that still gets around (even though it's crankier) and for a husband who lets me sew. :-)

Stitchin At Home said...

great name tag and that pocket will sure come in handy.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

What a great small project -- and the transparent pocket on the back is brilliant!

Kim's take on the process of creating has got me thinking, too. And your conclusion resonates with me: Everything in my day has an effect on my creativity (for better or for worse!).

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great name tag, Lisa! I love the fabrics you used. Your letters came out very legible. And smart idea to put the pocket in the back for those doorprize tickets!

Melanie said...

Your improv Name Looks great. And a lovely idea with the backside pouch.

lelandavestudios said...

Lisa, I'm so happy to hear that the newsletter has resonated with you. And I completely agree. If we take the time to think how things are connected, then almost anything that we are grateful for can be related back to our creativity. I'm grateful for your readership, and the fact that time and again you have thoughtful, reflective words to share about your creative process!

Preeti said...

Oh I like it a lot. The plastic pocket on the back is just perfect. When I feel down, I talk to friends, starting with Mari of AcademicQuilter. Arranging fabric, organizing also helps. Making a scrap vortex quilt is a sure-fire cure for my blues.
Sending lots of hugs and warm wishes.

Raewyn said...

A great looking nametag and I love the pouch on the back - what a great idea :-) An interesting post too Lisa, thanks for the link to Kim Soper's website.

Cheryl said...

Great name tag! I love that it has a pocket on the back to hold additional things.