Friday 26 October 2018

A Little Bit of Fall

     There is a little bit of Fall in the air and I thought I would share a couple of Fall like quilt tops with you.  Last Saturday we had our bee day at the Royal City Quilters Guild.  Bee day is when we get together to sew quilt tops for our Community Outreach program and for the last couple of years I have organized the days.  I put together the kits for both of these quilts but I only sewed the first one.  Here is a close up of most of the fabrics in the quilt.  



     When coming up with quilt kits we pretty much use what ever fabric we have in the guild stash.  This is one of the first kits I put together and at that time our stash was quite limited.
I loved the floral fabric in this quilt and that's where I started.



     Most of the recipients of our quilts are young women so we try to make several quilts every year that are bold and modern and I think this one fits that category. It finishes at about 53 inches by 62 inches. I based the design of this quilt on a block from the book Block a Day by Lucinda Ganderton.  The block pattern is called Bubble and Squeek and I greatly enlarged it and added a row.  It went together very quickly as a quilt top but I think the block itself would be challenging with all those tiny pieces in a 12" block. Imagine the quilt above with the bottom row chopped off and shrunk down to 12" square and that's the block.

      Here's the other Fall Like Quilt.  It was put together by Carol.  It blends right in with the leaves on my lawn.



     The chrysanthemum fabric was the starting point here and the quilt is roughly based on the easy middle part of a free quilt pattern from Art Gallery Fabrics called Elephant Walk.



     This is my last year in an organizational capacity with the outreach committee so I am spending a little bit of time thinking about what I do so that I can pass it on to one or more people.  Bee Day is the last big thing I had to do this year (which ends in June) and I'm looking forward to spending a bit more time on my own projects.  I'm going to link my post up to Lets Bee Social next week but for now I'm going to check out the finishes at TGIFF and Bragg About Your Beauties and as I have a finished quilt top to share, no matter how simple, I guess I'll link up there as well.

9 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

That second quilt really does disappear into the leaves in your yard! I hope that just the right person steps up to take over the organizational effort from you and thank you for what you have done in the past few years. :)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Very simple, modern and pretty quilts, Lisa! Way to use what you have and make the quilt shine. Thanks for heading up the community outreach program. Yvonne said it well⬆️!

Pamela said...

Wonderful fall quilts and a worthy cause! You are generous to have given so much of your time.

Stitchin At Home said...

Lovely quilts! I like how you used what was available I'm sure they will brighten someones day.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I loved your Friday Finish, Lisa. This is quite bright and fallish; someone will love it.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

These definitely remind me of the fall. Unfortunately, our fall has been cold this year. :(

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What beautiful modern quilts! I am sure the recipients are quite happy to get them.

Leanne Parsons said...

Beautiful quilts, Lisa! Organizing something like a Bee day sounds like it would be a lot of work. I hope you enjoy the extra time for your own sewing now that your time organizing is soon done.

Preeti said...

Fall is the most beautiful time of the year. Your quilts reflect that beauty. I am sure that these quilts will brighten the recipients' days and comfort them too.