Wednesday 1 August 2018

Nearing the end of a project and joining another.

     I didn't meet my July goal.  Am I concerned about this?  Not in the least because I made great progress and I'll be done by the end of the week.  Today I am going to pick out backing fabric and next week I'll take it to Mary to have it quilted.  I'm pretty excited about this finish and I'm looking forward to sharing it with you when it's done.  

But here I'll share something else I am excited about.  



     Here are my fabrics for the Modern Plus Sign Quilt Along.  Picking the fabrics was a bit of a process. It's a bit calmer than my usual choices. I'm making this quilt for my son and daughter in law and I wanted it to fit in with their  living room.  So I didn't throw in orange or magenta which where my first inclinations.  I opted instead for a slightly calmer effect.

     I borrowed a pillow to use for fabric selection but when Wendy and I went to our local (sort of) quilt shop Creative Sisters to pick fabrics I forgot the pillow at home.  I did have a picture of their rug on my ipad though so we used that and my memory of the pillow colours to pick all the fabrics but the greys.



     We did a pretty good job didn't we.  The light blue will be the background, the dark blue is the outline of the large plus sign, the white is the inside of the plus, and the teale green grunge will be the rows of plus signs along the top and bottom of the quilt.  I still needed two more fabrics though and I found this fat quarter in my stash.




     There was very little information on the fat quarter so I ordered a yard of four  similar greys from Mad About Patchwork.  I figured one of the lighter ones would be this fabric and I would use the darker one as well.  Here's a picture of  the fat quarter with the greys I ordered.



     None of them are a match!   I decided to use the two in the first photo which are the top two in this photo but if I can find the light one by the end of the week I might switch it in and replace the darkest grey.



  I'm looking forward to working on this quilt along with Cheryl and Paige. I was too busy to join in with last years mystery.  Cheryl's quilt alongs move at a nice unhurried pace so if you haven't joined in yet there is still time. 




   

     

     

10 comments:

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Very pretty palette. You're right, soothing and calming. I like how the Grunge texture complements the print in the pillow.

Janice Holton said...

Hi Lisa, I find it hard to reign in my taste for bright colors too. :) My son has picked a quilt that is almost exactly the colors you are showing here and I have been procrastinating doing it!

piecefulwendy said...

Very pretty colors. That grunge quartet of fat quarters is amazing. The top right one, I may have to hunt that one down!

Pamela said...

Great choices! I like these calm fabrics.

Louise said...

Really pretty fabrics! You can go wrong with Grunge, I think. The colors remind me of sea glass :)

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Great colors and I always love making a quilt knowing where it will go when it is done. The colors are very calming together and look like they will really match. :)

Heide said...

Pretty fabric pull. Great job on the picking the colors.

Margo Yang said...

Great fabric selections!! I'm hesitant to join in any mystery quilt along. I guess I'm impatient and fearful. I want to see the end result before hand. Maybe one day when I get over my fear. :)

Cheryl said...

Great fabric pull! I love the blues and grays together.

Nicole said...

I think your colours are great! I hope the quilt is going well. And I love Mad About Patchwork. They have great service and prices too.