Monday 27 March 2017

Quilting with Friends

     There is nothing like a quilt hanging on a line to brighten up a dull day.  Although it was not raining when I went out to snap the picture, the quilt was cold and damp when I brought it back inside.  But the dampness couldn't dampen its spirits as its a happy little quilt.




     It's for the Canadian Quilters Association Big Quilting Bee and I'll be putting it in the mail soon.  It will join many other quilt tops destined for Ronald McDonald houses across Canada.  It's a very kid friendly version of the slab quilt with its crayon box colours and with lots of eye spy type fabrics including clouds, whales , fish, frogs and fruits and vegetables.
    Wendy and Cyndy and I got together a couple of weeks ago to make the slab blocks out of our scraps. Often when we get together we are working on our own projects but occasionally we work on a project together.  For our next project we are going to make a quilt together following Sandra's  Free Fall Quilt Along.   If you or your friends are interested there is still loads of time to join in as the quilt along is just getting started.
     We'll be making the quilt a little bit larger than Sandra's to fit the requirements of our guild's comfort quilts.  We will do that by adding more negative space around the outside of the pattern.  Lucky for us, our now local quilt shop, which is one town away had a sale on Saturday and we picked up some fabrics for the background and the shadow leaf, along with a couple of fat quarters for smaller leaves.  We'll build the rest of the leaves out of our stashes.


     The background is an off white Kona (not on sale)  The orange is for the shadow leaf and the blue and black fabrics are for smaller leaves.  We get together to sew about once a month so I guess we'll have homework in between.  I'm sure this will be a fun project for us to tackle...and who knows maybe we'll make a second one out of batiks.  So today I'll say I'm crushing on community, both my local community of quilters and my online community and I'm linking up to Main Crush Monday  with Beth of Cooking Up Quilts and to the Quilt Bee with Lorna of Sewfresh Quilts.  And here's a new one to me.  I'm linking also with Kat of Kat and cat quilts to Sew Some Love, and yet another new to me linkup for quilts related to Canada's 150th Celebrate-Fetons 150  (sorry I don't have the accent over the e in Fetons) with Andree of Quilting and Learning.  
     This post is getting lots of mileage because I'm also linking with Sandra at Musings of a Menopausal Melon for her free fall link up.





16 comments:

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

I love your crayon block quilt, Wendy, Cindy and yourself have done well. I'm sure this will make a child very happy. I'm looking forward to making Sandra's falling leaves quilt too, it will be fun to do something altogether again, even from a distance

Lorna McMahon said...

You are so right! This is one happy quilt top! Made with love by you and your friends.... I'm sure it will bring much joy to a child in need. Well done!

Preeti said...

It is indeed a happy quilt meant to cheer folks up and brighten rainy days and Mondays too :-)

Chantal said...

Congrats on the bright top. I agree with you, it's a happy quilt no matter what's happening weather wise. Very lovely. Enjoy the new project. It sounds like fun. ;^)

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

You're right, there's no chance of some gray skies or rain to dampen the spirit of that happy quilt. It's going to make a child very happy.

Raewyn said...

Wonderful - a lovely happy quilt and off it goes to some needy children - well done :-) A fabulous idea to do Sandra's QAL as a charity quilt too, the fabrics you have picked look great...it's another one I'm trying hard to resist!

Stitchin At Home said...

Youe bee quilt is a happy looking quilt top for sure. Sounds like fun making Sandra's QAL as a charity quilt.

Tish Stemple said...

The slab quilt turned out so bright and fun. It is sure to brighten the day of the person that receives it. Those are lovely choices for the Freefall QAL. I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Crushing on community? Yes! Me, too! The flimsy looks wonderful and is sure to brighten up the recipients day. And what a great idea to sew the Freefall QAL together, too.

Rosa said...

Beautiful quilt.Love your fabric combo!

Pamela said...

The quilt top is so bright and beautiful!

Julie said...

It's a fabulous idea and a quilt loaded with color, and I love the I Spy centers. As I cut through scrap today and organize, I may do some quick color sorting. Thank you for a great project for a charity quilt. Have you linked this up with Kat's Charity linky, Sew Some Love? Katandcatquilts I pop in every Wed/Thursday looking for new ideas. It's nice.

Kat said...

Gorgeous scrappy top! I'm sure kids will love it. Thanks for linking up!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, what a happy lovely quilt top. I'm sure that it will be both appreciated and loved.
Thanks for linking up to Celebrate-Fêtons 150!

Jen said...

Your Canadian quilt is wonderful! I love all the bright crayon colors. Your choices for the Freefall QAL are great too. How fun to work on it with friends! :)

Nancy J said...

Rainbow brights on the line, what a treasure this will be, and your fabrics for the combined sewing of the Freefall, they are truly lovely.