This is a comfort quilt made for the Sexual Assault / Domestic Violence unit at the local hospital in my city. We handed the blocks out at the Guild for folks to sew into 9 patches then I cut the nine patches to make disappearing nine patch blocks and I pieced the quilt top. Then it sat and sat waiting for me to quilt it. I decided to try an all over boxy square quilt design. This was quite a challenge for me as I find straight lines hard to quilt, but I'm glad I chose it because it gave me lots of practice.
I ran into a couple of challenges with the quilting process, one at the beginning and one at the end. To start with when I put the quilt top on the batting I realized that the quilt was too long to fit on the batting, so I took the top and bottom outer boarders off the quilt. Feeling a bit pressed for time to get the quilt pinned I decided to keep the side borders on and decided it would just have to have a unique design. At the end of the process I was sewing the binding on when I came to the end of the binding.....but there was still more quilt to bind. So I added in a small section of a patterned fabric in almost the same colour. It will just add interest says me.
While I was quilting this quilt I spent some time thinking about how I would like to quilt Charlotte's quilt, which is the next quilt in the line up. I think I have a plan and we will see how it pans out. It's hard to believe I got the top pieced in May. It's about time I quilted it. I'm hoping to get it done before I get together with her family around Christmas.
This is my first finish of the 4th Quarter of the 2016 Finish Along (button in the sidebar). It's also my November Goal for OMG now hosted by Patty at Elm Street Quilts. I'll be linking up with her later in the month, but for now I'm linking up to TGIFF which is hosted this week by Debbie at The Quilt Journal