Friday 21 February 2014

Little Man Quilt Finished



Today it's gray and raining in our neck of the woods, shrinking the mountains of snow and turning the snow on the sidewalks to sludge.  It gave me a perfect morning to snuggle in bed and sip tea while listening to a new Jessy Bell Smith C.D. and finishing up the last bit of stitching on the binding on my Little Man/Giraffe Love quilt.





It's hard to believe that a week ago we had so much snow.  The  weather has been all over the map lately so we could get more snow.  But it does feel like there is a hint of spring in the air.

Last week I took this picture of how the snow sculpted itself into this interesting curve.  I thought I would share it with you.



Here are some pictures of the "Little Man" quilt. It's a pretty simple quilt , perfect for practicing free motion quilting.
One of my goals for this year is to improve my free motion quilting.  I've had this goal for a few years but I just never seem to get around to it.  Maybe this year will be the year!
     This is about the 4th time I've attempted fmq on an actual quilt and the first time I've done anything any where near as big as this.  The largest thing previously was a table runner.   I have to admit it turned out better than I had anticipated.  I've always found the meandering stitches very difficult to do, so I decided to try this elongated figure eight across the quilt.  It's decidedly not perfect but pretty good for a first attempt.  I was amazed at how much the weight of the quilt, on even this crib sized quilt affected my ability to move the quilt.  All in all I'm happy with it and ready to try the same technique on a lap sized quilt soon.  There is no way to get better than to keep on going!

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

1 comment:

Jeni B Quilts said...

I think your fmq turned out great! I am also learning fmq, I've had all the tools to do it for a couple of years but was too afraid to try it, so I just dove in one day...Mine does not look as nice as yours does, but , I will get better I hope!