Monday 19 November 2018

Quilting for Charity.

     Last Tuesday was the first guild meeting since Bee Day and I received some of the quilt tops back that guild members completed.  I thought I would share some of the brighter ones here.  It's remarkably sunny here today so I hauled them out to the back porch and took quick picks.  

     At Bee Day we hand out kits with the fabric pre cut and the pattern included. Members work on the quilts during the day and in some cases take them home to finish the top.

     The fabrics in the first two quilts are batiks from my stash and Cyndy's stash.  The two of us have been trying to use up our oldest fabrics and these batiks have been hanging around for a long time. We had enough fabric to make two of kit and one of each was made at bee day.



    
     The first quilt top is made with the Reaction block pattern from Creatin in the Sticks. The key to this pattern is having contrast in the two halves of the block. Becky worked on this project and I love how she put it together. I would have put the blocks together in a more random arrangement so I was pleasantly surprised to see Becky's arrangement which creates a secondary pattern.


     
     This second quilt is bright and fun.  It's from a pattern called Batik Beauty by Angela Veek which was published in the Quilters Almanac magazine. Sorry I don't know which issue as I tore it out of my copy. Although it was designed with batiks in mind I think the pattern would look great in lots of different fabrics.  This version was beautifully sewn by Ann.
   
     The rest of the quilts I'm sharing today come from the guild stash. Some of it was purchased and some of it was from a very generous donation from Marion, a former guild member.  Cyndy did a great job with this Jelly Roll Twist kit. The pattern is from the Fat Quarter shop.The fabric has a 40s vibe to it, but a little more brightness.



     Dana put this lovely top together.  Don't you just love those fun plaids and that  colourful dachshund fabric.  The pattern here is based on the Quarter Cut Baby Quilt tutorial by  Debby Jeske of a Quilter's Table. We adjusted the pattern to fit our size requirements





     This last quilt just might be my favourite.  There was no pattern given with this kit.  We always have one "Creativity required kit in the mix.  The kit was made up of a variety of soccer related fabrics, balls and flags, along with co-ordinating fabrics.  Brenda, who picked up this bag was free to create whatever she wanted. She made a quilt and a half.  As she put it she just kept sewing until all the fabric was used up.  Here's the quilt.  The half will need some additions. 




     Now that I have these fun quilt tops and many others in my possession, it's my job to make up kits with backings and batting, to hand off to other guild members for quilting.

     Because I haven't been there for a while I'm going to link up with the Main Crush Monday link up with Beth of Cooking Up Quilts and with Let's Bee Social with Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts.

11 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the secondary design that is created in the first quilt as well, it really drew me in!

Louise said...

My favorite fabrics are the flags and soccer balls, and my favorite pattern is the Reaction. But they are all really fun and happy tops! Sounds like your guild is really organized :)

piecefulwendy said...

I like them all, they are all so bright and cheery. Your guild comes up with some fun activities.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

What fun quilts. They will be loved once donated.

Stitchin At Home said...

Love the quilts, the top one is my favourite.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What a generous group! All of the quilts are lovely and I am sure they will be much appreciated.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa! That's a whole lot of fun you shared with us today, and how wonderful that it is for charity. It would be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but I have always wanted to make a Reaction quilt!! All of them are so pretty and happy and will make the recipient just feel all the love that was stitched into each one. I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. ~smile~ Roseanne

Preeti said...

You are right. The first quilt - I have seen the block pattern but the layout is refreshing. Lots of color and joy in these quilt tops. I am sure that they will bring joy and comfort to the recipients.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

These are so lovely, Lisa! Fabulous work by everyone, and I know they will be loved.

-Soma

Pamela said...

Wonderful quilt tops! I really like the first one.

Nicole said...

Some of these are really super! And this post is proof that you can make anything work, as long as you have the right pattern for the fabric. Good luck getting these all done.