Thursday 19 July 2018

A Group Finish for TGIFF

    


      Last year Sandra at MMMQuilts held her first quilt along, using her own pattern Free Fall.  I didn't  feel  I had the time to complete the quilt on my own, so I convinced my friends Cyndy and Wendy to work along with me to complete one quilt. We managed to get our flimsy done for the final link up. My friend Wendy has finished the quilting and as she has no blog I'm sharing the finish with you, on behalf of the three of us. 




     We purchased the background fabric and the fabric for the shadow leaf and we used fabrics from our collective stashes for the smaller leaves.  We extended the length of the quilt a bit and continued adding leaves in a kind of swirling pattern.



    The background of the quilt was quilted with slightly curved lines with a walking foot.  I loaned my hip curve ruler to Wendy for marking the lines.  She continued the quilting using  a free motion meander in the shadow leaf and  she quilted veins in some of the smaller leaves.  She did an awesome job, don't you think?



     We used a light dotted fabric for the quilt back, and Wendy chose a nice light green for the binding. Both the backing and the binding complement the front quite nicely.  I think it's a really beautiful quilt.



     We are donating this quilt to our local guild to be used for fundraising, along with another lap sized quilt and a whole load of mini quilts all made by guild members.  This will happen at our Quilt Show in September.  Somebody will be lucky enough to go home with it.  Thanks to Sandra for her great quilt design and for hosting a fun quilt along .  I'm linking the post up with Thank Goodness I's Finished Friday which is hosted this week by Andree at Quilting and Learning, What a Combo.  I'll be away from home babysitting my favourite boys on Friday ,so I'll check out the other finishes in the evening or on the weekend.

16 comments:

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

Lisa, your friends and you did such a wonderful job and the quilting is just fantastic. Whoever wins this quilt is going to be one lucky and happy person.

Cheryl said...

The quilt and the quilting are fabulous! I love how the gentle wavy lines look like a breeze through the leaves.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

That is sew neat that you worked on this quilt together with your friends, Lisa. I love how Wendy quilted it--really looks like swirling leaves! This will be one huge hug for the winner.

Jayne said...

This 'trio' of friends quilt turned out beautifully! I would have been scared that nothing would have been cohesive...but this is not the case at all. Wonderful quilting and wherever it ends up it will be appreciated!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wendy did a beautiful job with the quilting; what a beautiful collaboration and finish all around.

Stitchin At Home said...

The three of you did a fabulous job, it turned out beautifully!

Pamela said...

How fantastic! You and your friends made a gorgeous quilt.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, what a gorgeous quilt. You all did a great job. As I read that it was done by all three of you, I was wondering how custody of the quilt would work :-) Donating it for a draw is a great idea. Thanks for linking up.

piecefulwendy said...

Such a pretty quilt with the white background! You all did great work on this! Congrats on the finish!

Louise said...

I love the way you and your friends interpreted Sandra's pattern! The leaves really do swirl around, and the quilting really enhances that feeling. I especially like that you extended it to make it rectangular and are donating it to a good cause! Way to go Lisa, Cyndy and Wendy!! :)

Vicki in MN said...

The light background works very well with your choice of colors, a great finish!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Congratulations on the finish. It looks amazing. I need to pull this WIP out of the pile and get it finished as well. Hope you had a great time with the boys.

Sandra Walker said...

I literally was mouth-open, alternately smiling and sucking in of my breath, as I read. I am so incredibly pleased with what you three have accomplished! I love the white background, love how you extended it, so much motion, and love how Wendy quilted it, just enhances the motion so well. And the veins! And meander in the big shadow leaf, ahh! Wonderful finish and wonderful donation. Thank you for participating in that first QAL!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think the three of you make an awesome team - what a beautiful quilt!

Preeti said...

Beautifully quilted, lovely colors and perfect pictures = One fabulous finish!!! Love the bold purple leaf that just jumps out and the shy pale yellow one that requires one to get real close to notice.

Nicole said...

A lovely finish indeed! The whole quilt looks really great Lisa. Well done to you and your friends.