Tuesday 17 April 2018

Postcard From Sweden Update

     Well I never thought for a minute that I would have to send out a notice cancelling my guilds Spring Bee Day.  That is until late Friday night when the severe weather warning for freezing rain was still standing. It came a bit later than expected but it came. I pretty much spent the whole weekend hiding out in the house.  Instead of working on guild projects I worked on my own projects.
    
 I'm happy to say that my Postcard from Sweden quilt top is finished. I finished it at 3:30 on Sunday afternoon. Let the photos begin!  I've given up on waiting for good weather to take the photos. There's no need to, really as Postcard does a lot to brighten up a grey day.


     I really love this quilt and as I've said before I found it such a great way to see how the different colours work together.  Dwight asked me who it was for.  For now I'm going to keep it to use as a colour reference.


     Here's a view from the other side.  The yellows pick up the light quite nicely in this view don't they.   There is a lot more red and pink and purple in this quilt than I would normally use.  I tend to be more of a blue and green girl and I welcomed the opportunity to work with these other colours. 



     I have to admit that I got a little sick of sewing all the half square triangles together during the current marathon of sewing so I took a break to sew a couple of blocks for community outreach ( I'll share those later) and I managed to make a small start on Rory's quilt (that is secret sewing for now) so all in all it was a very productive weekend.  I'll be joining the linkups at mmmquilts for the Postcard from Sweden quilt along, and at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social.

     Now I'm going back to waiting for Spring to Come.  Do you think it will....ever.

28 comments:

Tish Stemple said...

Lisa, this is beautiful! All those bright colors really stand out against the white stuff. Will this winter ever come to an end???

Kay said...

This is simply stunning. I don't usually like solids but I love the way the colours work together in this quilt. x

piecefulwendy said...

Yay! You got it done. Those HSTs were definitely a little unexciting after the first 20 of them. Haha! But the final outcome is that beautiful quilt! I love the colors, and I'm keeping mine just so I pull it out on those gray days! Spring will come. It just has too. Soon!

Pamela said...

This is fabulous! Absolutely stunning! Well done!

Louise said...

Congrats on getting your Postcards flimsy finished! No matter how many times I see this pattern, I always love the bright cheerfulness of it. Keeping it "for color reference" sounds very practical :)

Janice Holton said...

Lisa, this is one of my favorite alltime quilts. I could look at it all day long!

PaintedThread said...

I love this pattern. Yours looks great.

Margaret said...

I can't resist such vibrant colours! It brightens up a landscape that still has snow falling outside.

Stitchin At Home said...

Love it! I didn't have time to make one, after seeing yours I want to make it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful!! and it makes that snow just disappear

Jayne said...

This brightened my day! Those colors are so bold, bright and vibrant! I love it! I would also keep it...

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The colors are fantastic, Lisa, and I do love the vibrancy of the quilt top. I hope things begin to thaw out for you soon!

Anne-Marie said...

Looks great! And it does really look great in contrast to the snow.

Sandra Walker said...

It is so gorgeous Lisa! Such a joy to sew (despite the endless HSTs both cutting the suckers and piecing and trimming them right?!) especially over the past grey, cold, miserable month that is so unusual for us. Thank you for joining in with Helen and me, and I think you should keep it! It's going to yoga with me this weekend! btw yes on the lots more reds, oranges and yellows than I'd normally use, but loved that!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Well done. It's so bright and beautiful. I'm tired of this winter weather. Hurry up Spring!!

Heide said...

Very pretty. Such a happy quilt with all the great colors.

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

Absolutely beautiful! I finally bought a kit for this quilt as a treat around tax time, can't wait to start chipping away at it! 😊

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, your quilt is really gorgeous.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa,
Postcard turned out so beautiful! I have to agree - I got a little sick of sewing HSTs and trimming them but the end result was so worth it. I doubt I would have made this quilt at all if it wasn't for the QAL.
~smile~ Roseanne

Melva Nolan said...

Definitely some color therapy for a winter that doesn't want to leave

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

Love the snow! Makes it just like Sweden, I imagine. Your quilt is brilliant, well done. I went to baste mine tonight, just before the link up deadline of tomorrow. And my backing is 2 squares too narrow. ****** I will just be photographing the flimsy. As well, best laid plans and all that

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

I love this quilt design, and your lovely rendition has certainly done the pattern justice. I hope your bright and beautiful quilt will bring you some of the warmer weather you are waiting for!

Nicole said...

Yay it looks awesome! It's spring here but I'm sick and your quilt cheered me up so thanks. And hang in there, spring is just around the corner as Franklin the turtle said.

Sewmotion said...

Your quilt is beautiful, and would definitely cheer up any freezing day! Well done!

laughing gas quilts said...

Love that Postcard! Your quilt says Spring so loudly even mother nature will hear.

Preeti said...

"I need this quilt as a color reference" is an absolutely legitimate, 100% authentic, hands down explanation for your intentions :-D The snow may have been unexpected or unpleasant but it is the perfect backdrop for this colorful beauty!!! Enjoy!!!

canuckquilter said...

It's a lovely cheerful quilt, perfect to brighten up gloomy weather. Also, as you said, a great colour reference.

Christina said...

Beautiful quilt! I have seen a lot of these popping up, and they look fun and bright. Perfect to brighten up any gloomy/rainy/wintery day.