Monday 12 June 2017

The Free Fall Link Up

     I am really in love with this quilt.  It's our version of the Free Fall Quilt, put together by myself and my friends Cyndy and Wendy.  I took it out Sunday morning to get photos in the early light.





     As we are going to donate this beauty to our Guild's outreach committee, we enlarged the quilt to fit the dimensions needed. We added extra leaves on the white fabric below the shadow leaf to lengthen the quilt and plain borders on the top and sides.



     I love how the leaves on the bottom look like they are swirling in the wind.



     We bought the fabrics for the shadow leaf and the background from Creative Sisters, which is our new local quilt shop since Greenwood Quiltery has closed.  Local now means going to Kitchener, the next city to the west.



     For the smaller leaves we used larger scraps and fat quarters from our stashes, including fabrics from Tamara Kate, Kaffe Fassett, Malka Dubrawsky and Amy Butler.

     There was absolutely no hope of us quilting this beauty before the link up because our lives are too busy right now.   Cyndy's daughter and two grandchildren are visiting from Qatar.  Wendy's youngest son is getting married mid July and she's sewing a lot of the dresses.

    We welcomed our new grandson two weeks ago (the day after we moved his family across town). This has been both joyous and stressful as his mother ended up with an infection and had to go back to the hospital twice.  She has an auto immune condition so this is quite serious for her.  She is back home now and appears to be much healthier so we are all hoping she will continue in good health and the family of four can get back to normal.

     Dwight and I, along with the other set of grandparents, and many friends have been pitching in to babysit both the new born and the 15 month old as Mom has been very sick and in the hospital for a couple of days at a time.  We love spending time with the little ones.  The new born Eli is pretty laid back so far and Gabriel is a going concern who loves to be outdoors.  I'm feeling very grateful to my employers who have let me have extra time off work.  Everything else has pretty much gone out the window.

     I'll be linking up with Beth of Cooking Up Quilts for the Main Crush Monday link up and with Sandra of Musings of a Menopausal Melon for the Free Fall link up.  Thanks Sandra for designing this quilt and holding this fun quilt along, and thanks Cyndy and Wendy for joining me in making this wonderful quilt.
   


18 comments:

Stitchin At Home said...

Love the addition of extra wind tossed leaves, a great way to lengthen the quilt. Hope mom gets better soon.

Vicki in MN said...

I love the way you added extra blocks to make it bigger instead of trying to enlarge each block. You girls did good;)

Pamela said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

your quilt turned out great. Hope she heals quick! Glad you are enjoying the grandkids tho!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The quilt top is stunning and I really love the way you enlarged the quilt together. I hope that your daughter in law continues to remain healthy.

Tish Stemple said...

This turned out absolutely beautiful. I love the addition of borders and extra leaves.

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

I love your version of the Free Fall quilt. If I were to make another one, I would add the extra leaves too. Great job by the group and you. Hope all stays well and enjoy your time with the grand babies.

Raewyn said...

I love it Lisa!! Well done girls on a beautiful top!! I hope your daughter-in-law is well over the worst of it now and remains healthy. How lucky the family is to have people and grandparents that can chip in and help.

Nancy J said...

The extra leaves and borders fit so well with the pale background. Beautiful flimsy with the stained glass look.I hope so much that the new Mum and baby stay healthy, family helping together at times like this is so important, and for a Mum who is so ill to know everything is being taken care of must be a huge relief. Take care, you and the others, as carers need good health as well.

Nicole said...

I think ditto a lot of the comments, but I really like the extra leaves...they fit very nicely. Good luck getting it done and for everything else in your lives!

Bernie Kringel said...

What a great way to enlarge the quilt so you could donate it. The colors are wonderful.
I am happy to hear your DIL is recovering. How challenging it must be for her to be ill and recuperating with a newborn. Lucky girl to have wonderful family support. I hope she continues to gain strength and healing.

Preeti said...

Such a lovely quilt (to-be) and so many reasons to love it too!!! Sending best wishes and healing hugs to your DIL.

Sandra Walker said...

Lisa I love what you ladies did to enlarge it! Totally agree with you that the bottom leaves look like they are swirling in the wind. What a terrific idea to do that instead of just add four borders. Such a worthy cause and a group effort; I love that. I can just imagine the crazy in your life, but in a good way with the wee boys. Sending hugs for their mama to get back to 100%--I know all too well how debilitating fighting an infection from hospital can be, and I don't have an auto-immune condition, nor have I just given birth. Love to all of you.

Kathleen said...

What fun to see an enlarged version of this quilt. It is really such an elegant solution rather than adding borders. Good luck to baby and new mom. So sweet that they are able to be encircled by love as she recovers.

works4me said...

Love this version, and the additional leaves. Lucky charity.

I hope all turns out well with the family.

QuiltE said...

Such a great way to enlarge this quilt! As soon as I saw it over at MMM! I saw the leaves blowing in the wind. Will look forward to seeing it finished up, when life settles a little for you. Best wishes for your DIL's health and special times for you with the Grands!

Lorna McMahon said...

You girls did an amazing job! I love how you enlarged and lengthened the quilt. What a great mix of fun fabrics! Congratulations on the news of another grandchild! So glad to hear you are able to spend some time off work to be able to be with your family!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

The quilt is great, but you don't need me to tell you that. But a new grandson - that's fantastic. Congratulations! I'm hoping things are starting to settle down and the new mum is beginning to feel better. The whole body has such a shock during childbirth and then you have to go home and look after children straight after! Look forward to seeing you make a new baby quilt ?