Monday 22 August 2016

Our Entry at the Quilt Show

     One of my goals for this year was to enter a quilt into a quilt show.  Well I didn't enter one on my own but the Small Modern Group of my local quilt guild (Royal City Quilters Guild) entered a group quilt into the Quilt Show for the International Plowing Match, which was held this year in Harriston Ontario.

     Last summer and fall this group made many pick up stick blocks which we used to make two donation quilts for our guilds comfort quilt program.  Cheryl took most of the blocks which she pieced and quilted.    I took the leftover blocks, added sashing and made a second quilt which you can read about here.
We entered the quilt Cheryl completed into the show. There was a category for modern quilts made by a group.




     As you can see we won a ribbon!  We came in second in our category.  How awesome is that.

    Ten of us participated in making this quilt. Here's a picture of Wendy, me and Cyndy in front of the quilt.  Our friend Carol took the photo.  She's not in the picture because she's not in the Small Modern Group.



     It was a fun show to go to with a wide variety of styles and several quilts made by youth in 4H programs.  I loved seeing those quilts.  Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts was there selling her patterns, so we had a nice visit with her.  Man those quilts are gorgeous in real life.  They look great on her blog but even better in person.

     The more I go to quilt shows the more I feel I could enter my quilts.  It will never be my focus but I think it would be a great way to tighten up my skills.  I'm sharing this post at the 
Main Crush Monday linkup at Cooking Up Quilts.

21 comments:

Sue said...

Congratulations on the ribbon! It's a fantastic quilt!

Gina said...

What a fabulous quilt. Well done on getting the ribbon

Run 'n Stitch said...

Congratulations!! Your quilt is lovely. You all look so happy.

Jayne said...

First, I love that quilt! Second...congrats on second place! What a beautiful picture of you three in front of the quilt...looks like fun was had by all!

Sandra Walker said...

Woo HOO!!! That is a fabulous quilt, and one I would love to make; is it Amanda Jean's pattern? I hope Lorna did well; so cool that you got to meet up with her (again!)

Tish Stemple said...

Congrats to you guys! That is awesome! And how great that you got to visit with Lorna as well.

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Congratulations! I love the look of the pick-up sticks blocks when sewn together.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful finish! I love how all of the pick up sticks blocks are different and yet work so well together as group! Congrats on the ribbon.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

How fantastic, Lisa! Your smiles make me so happy to see. 😊 I am also glad that you were there to see and support Lorna. It sounds like a great time!

Puppilalla said...

It looks as if it was a fun event =) You seem to enjoy yourselves in the picture. And you got a prize too. Very cool. =)

Deb M said...

Congratulations! Beautiful quilt!

Bonnie said...

congratulations -- it is a wonderful quilt. And, great that you gals could use up all of the blocks.. or so it sounds.

Pamela said...

Congrats! What a great quilt!

Lorna McMahon said...

What a great picture! It was so much fun running into you girls at the IPM Quilt Show. Congratulations on your group quilt placing second! It's a beautiful quilt!

Lena Pugacheva said...

Congratulations on the second place! Looks like you had a great time at the show)) You definitely should enter more of your quilts into shows!

Quilter Kathy said...

Ahhh this picture makes me so happy! HI friends! So exciting that you won a ribbon!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Congrats on your win! You ladies look so happy! I agree, showing quilts is a great way to 'tighten up your skills'. I've always just made quilts for enjoyment and finally entered a small show last summer. The quilt received some great feedback from the judges as well as some constructive criticism that has helped me improve my quilting. Your work is so good Lisa, you should definitely enter your quilts!

Ruth said...

Congratultions! Great photo and it really is a lovely quilt - I really like the various shades of grey as backgrounds!

the zen quilter said...

Hey, Consider you goal met - even if three people made it, you were part of that three. Of course, I really LOVE that quilt you made for the first blog hop-with all the blues and the pops of orange - I know you finished the top but I can't remember if you completed the entire thing. If so, I think that one is a real winner - you should enter that one in something...

Kate said...

Congrats to you all on the ribbon. It's a beautiful quilt.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Great win for your group, well done! It's a lovely quilt. Looks like you had a wonderful day.
Smiles
Kate