These were the fabrics for our Guild Show challenge. This is for the Royal City Quilters Guild. The challenge was to make a quilt illustrating the theme of Nightscape using these two fabrics and any other fabrics of our choosing. The challenge fabrics had to be recognizable. This was the second challenge I have completed for the Guild. I like to add an additional challenge by trying out a technique that is new to me.
I decided to make a circular motif along the lines of the dresden block. I like piecing and I don't like to add a lot of bling. When I was at the Toronto Modern Guild I saw a sawblade star block made by Andrea and I knew it was what I wanted to make. You can check her's out here. It's very pretty.
The pattern is from Fat Quarterly's Shape Workshop for quilters. First I had to enlarge patterns and make plastic templates . This was the first time I've used templates. I sewed the individual blades together and then sewed half a circle. This is what things looked like at this point.
I was a little concerned as things were on a definite angle but I pressed ahead and soon I had two angled pieces. Whew.
Here's the finished quilt. It's 15 inches square.
Here's a close up of the free motion quilting in the centre. The rest is quilted with the walking foot (but not until after I tried more fmq which I spent hours ripping out!)
Here's a picture of the back.
I named it Cosmic Nightscape. It's the third finish for the 1st Quarter Finish along. I'm linking up to Thank Goodness it's Finished Friday over at Quilt Matters and later in the month to a Year of Lovely Finishes at Fibre of All Sorts and to the 2015 1st Quarter Finish Along at On the Windy Side. The original post for that is here. And for those of you keeping track I was number 31 in the goal setting linky.