Wednesday 23 May 2018

A conspiracy of babies and the zombie appocalipse

     Have you heard about a conspiracy of ravens?  Well in my life there is a conspiracy of babies.  Why a conspiracy you ask.  Well  I've been hoping to have some creative play in my quilting life, and babies are popping up left right and centre demanding that I make quilts for them. I just finished Rory's quilt, you can read about it here  and now his aunt is having a baby. My nephew Eric and his partner Kirsten are having a  baby, their third child, in November, and my co workers daughter is also having a baby in November.  So what's a quilter to do?  Make quilts for babies of course.  

     I'll be starting this baby quilt making process, with the Fireburst Mystery quilt along that Tish is hosting.   I'll be making the lap size.  I tend to give toddler sized quilts to babies (usually when they are about a year old).  This one will be a large lap size and here is my fabric pull.




     I had almost enough of the dark blue in my stash but not quite enough so I went to the local Len's store to pick up more.  My friends Wendy and Carol came with me and helped me to pick the other fabrics.  The limey green came next ( I had picked it out as binding for Rory's quilt), followed by the colourful fabric with little birds and then the red.  This will make a fun kids quilt.  I have thoughts about the other two quilts as well, and I think they will be easy finishes.  

     So that should keep me busy in my sewing room, but, do you want to know what else is going to keep me busy?  The zombie apocalypse. It's arrived in my front yard.  Well to be honest it's been there for a while but I wasn't sure what I was dealing with.  Look at it.  It looks so innocent doesn't it. 




 You may have even liked it in my instagram feed when I posted a picture to see if anyone knew what it was and how to deal with it.  Well thanks to one of my co workers who saw my post, I now know that it is creeping bellflower and it is working it's way towards world domination.  Another name for it is zombie weed because it sneaks into your garden and quietly takes over without you noticing it.

      Last year we covered the garden in thick plastic for 2 months pretty much killing everything and this year it popped up again.....apparently the only way to deal with it is to keep pulling in out over and over until you weaken it.  I think it may outlive me.

     So if you don't hear from me for a while I'll be in the garden pulling up weeds, or maybe I'll be in my sewing room making a baby quilt .......or maybe indulging in some creative play.  There is always hope.

I'm linking up with Let's Bee Social linkup  and with the Fireburst Mystery Quilt  linkup.

Lisa
p.s.  I love babies.  They are one of my favourite things in the whole world.  Creeping Bellflower, not so much.

p.p.s.  There is also a wedding quilt in the works.

p.p.p.s.  The backyard also has a lot of weeds but not this one.


    

16 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Lisa! Uggggggg - I have that same bellflower in my flower bed. I dug out ALL the dirt really deep and I thought that took care of it. Nope - here it is, back again this Spring. So I'll be pulling it along with you. I love your fabric pull for Fireburst! And how fun to get to make so many baby quilts for a real baby! Baby quilts are my favorite size to make - they don't take too long, you can be creative in your quilting if you want, and you can imagine a little person laying on their tummy on your creation. Happy Wednesday! ~smile~ Roseanne

Tish Stemple said...

You had me from the moment I read your post title :) I think my worst fear would be having a baby in a zombie apocalypse. We have some that pops up in our flower garden. Never knew what it was, but we do just keep pulling it up. I watch The Walking Dead...maybe you could just stab it in the head? :) I LOVE your choices for Fireburst! Especially that little whale print.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am excited for the fabric pull and to see how it comes together. As for a conspiracy of babies, I know what you mean! I'm in a baby lull (but I figure it's only temporary) for the moment... I probably shouldn't have admitted that. And weeds. Ugh. I have so much weeding to do myself. The next few days the weather looks decent for it, unfortunately!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Hi, Lisa,
When I first looked at that weed, I saw mint. Weeds, we have tons of them. They keep Tu-Na Helper busy while I sew and quilt. Good luck on getting all the baby quilts and the wedding quilt started and finished. I'll be cheering for you.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I have some of that too although I never knew what it was called. I also have a lovely tame bellflower which spreads much more slowly.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Nice choices of fabric. Glad you talked about the weeds, etc. I have something creeping in my flower bed around a tree and just can't seem to get rid of it. I pull and pull but it keeps returning.

Chantal said...

It's raining babies at your place I see. All those quilts will keep you out of trouble for awhile, :^D. For the weed, try putting some apple cider vinegar on the cut vines. It might just give you an edge over the weed. It works for a lot of plants so ... good luck with that. ;^)

piecefulwendy said...

Well, I was giggling as I read your post, then I giggled some more when I read the comments. Haha. Babies are a good thing, and baby quilts are fun to make. I love your fabrics! Perfect for a baby quilt. I have lots of dandelions to pull; I'm too scared to go look for zombie weed. However, a zombie weed quilt seems like it might be kind of fun . . .

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

Too funny! I've got poison ivy in my backyard that has popped up more than once even when we've tried to destroy it. Persistence is the name of the game it seems. And I can understand the never ending list of have to make quilts for babies and such! I've finally hit a creative break where I have no sewing obligations and it is sort of strange. Lol. Good luck tackling all those baby quilts and the zombie weed! 😁

Stitchin At Home said...

Love the fabric pull! Good luck with the weeds, I have enough of my own that I'm trying to if not get rid of at least less of.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Those are awesome fabrics. They are going to look great in the mystery.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Babies and baby quilts are a great distraction from those zombies in your garden. We have plenty of weeds in ours, too. It's an ongoing battle for us. Your fabrics are wonderful. I'll be looking forward to seeing the coming quilts.

Vera said...

I definitely learned something new! Good luck with both issues :)

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

I see both you and I have baby busyness and as for weeds I leave it all up to the Hubby. I just like to play Plants vs. Zombies video game when I should be spending time in the quilt room.

Laura said...

I have the same bellflower in my yard, too; been pulling it for years. Literally. Ha, ha!

Nicole said...

Lovely post, and I really like the term you coined - a conspiracy of babies. Your fabric pull looks great. Good luck with the weeds!