Wednesday 11 October 2017

Block Update

    

      I belong to a couple of guilds (Modern and Traditional) and I also a member of Stash Bee.  I make a lot of blocks for these groups for block of the months and block lottos and I thought it would be nice to share some of the blocks I've been working on.  Making a few blocks is a nice way to work some sewing in when there isn't a lot of time to spare.

     Last week I shared a photo of a quilt top that my friends and I put together at our mini retreat.  It was put together with block lotto blocks.  While we were together we also worked on some blocks for our local guild's outreach program.



     These majestic mountain blocks  where the September block of the month blocks.  They are really big blocks,
16 inches in width so it will only take a few to make a quilt top.  My block is the orange one.  



     Little Tent Block are very popular in my area right now with blocks being made by both local guilds.  Little Tent Blocks are improv blocks based on a quilt designed by Daisy of Ants to Sugar (now Warm Folk). You can see her original Little Tent Quilt here. It turns out that Daisy was inspired by Jennifer Johnston's triangle quilt and Jennifer is a member of the local Modern Guild.  The blocks above are for the local Traditional Guild, Royal City Quilter's Guild and are the blocks for the November block lotto.  The top left and bottom left are my blocks.  I love making these blocks and I'm planning on making more with some interesting background fabric I picked up recently.




     This here is my Stash Bee block for September.  It was a fun little block to make, once I settled on the 6 fabrics. I managed to pull them all from the scrap bins!  I'll be working on the October block this week.  It's a simple block but the challenge again was finding the right red.

     When I find some time, there have been some really nice honey pot bee blocks that I would like to add to my collection, so I'll be sure to update when I get those done.  I'm heading over now to link up with the Let's Bee Social link up over at Lorna's blog Sew Fresh Quilts.
   

12 comments:

Chantal said...

Love your block parade. They are all lovely but you know me, I have a little soft spot for orange and majestic mountain is awesome in orange. Also love the Stash Bee block for September. Well done, Lisa. ;^)

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

How cool to know Daisy was inspired by Jennifer and that she is a member of your local MQG! The blocks look great. :) I have some blocks to work on this month myself...

Louise said...

I really like that last block! Very striking.

Pamela said...

Gorgeous blocks! I really like the last one. Great fabric choices.

Pamela Arbour said...

All nice blocks. I like the majestic mountain pattern. Love all your blocks.

Stitchin At Home said...

Lovely blocks! The last one with the pop of red is my favourite.

JanineMarie said...

What fun to have such a variety to work on. I love them all. I do wonder if there is a lot of difference between your modern and traditional projects in your guilds. I think your tent blocks seem very modern. It doesn't make much difference to me because I appreciate all kinds of quilting, but I wonder if the lines blur over time? I like the size of the delectable mountain blocks. They will make such a striking quilt.

Sue said...

I'm always drawn to those Little Tents blocks and I WILL make some myself one day. I love the stash bee blocks, your colours look perfect! and I love the fabrics you've used for your delectable mountains - nice work!

Nicole said...

My MQG did the little tents last year and we swiped the idea from the Seattle MQG, who got it from Daisy! The internet makes it a small world.

Kaja said...

I like the little tent blocks - full of possibilities.

Sandra Walker said...

Love your fabric pull and yes that is what takes me the longest more often than not. Great Delectable Mountains blocks too.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

I think I must have missed this post. Your majestic mountain blocks look great. At first sight I thought you were making hedgehog blocks.