Tuesday 19 September 2017

Septembers Goal Completed

    Two Saturdays ago Dwight and I spent a wonderful day at my son's place, baby sitting our grandsons.  This time it was just normal baby sitting, no crisis.  We took the kids to the nearby park and had so much fun. Gabriel is always so excited to see us (especially his Grandad ) and Eli at three months gives us big smiles, and coos when we talk to him.

     This past weekend I was supposed to go to the Canadian Health Food Association  Trade Show in Toronto but I came down with a virus.  I decided to listen to my body and stay home to rest.  Dwight caught the virus on Saturday.  We had been going to visit my aunt, but she had to make do with a phone call instead. She sounds like she is doing o.k.  I'm going to look for some wood to touch after I type this but I think things are settling down somewhat in the family.

      Apart from the first day, the virus was pretty mild so I managed to finally spend some quality time on Eli's quilt and get the top finished.  It's fun isn't it?  Its the POD quilt by Elizabeth Hartman.  I made the lap size but added an extra row of the smallest whales to the bottom to give it a bit more length. I'm linking with the OMG link up at Elm Street Quilts.




     It feels really good to have this quilt top finished and I'm excited to start quilting it.  I will be ordering some backing fabric from Fabric Spot  along with my fabric for the Wayward Transparency Quilt Along and my friend Cyndy's fabric as well.  This will make the order big enough to avoid shipping charges which is always a bonus!  






      I'm trying not to take on too much in terms of new projects but I'm excited to quilt along with Yvonne on this one.  We will learn a lot about fabric choices for transparencies and will get an awesome quilt out of the process.

     My co worker and her husband have finally settled on a name for their baby and I'll be using this next little grouping for Rory's quilt.




     Tessa wanted a lot of colour to brighten up his room.  I'm thinking of Sawtooth Stars with the animals in the centre of the stars.  What do you think?




20 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The pod quilt top looks wonderful, Lisa! I'm so happy to hear that things are settling down for your family and I wish you a smooth, healthy, wonderful fall and holiday season. Sawtooth starts with the animal prints in the center sounds like a great plan for a baby quilt to me!

Tish Stemple said...

Good to hear things are slowing down a bit and I hope you are both feeling better. Eli's quilt looks great! You will have it all quilted up before you know it.

piecefulwendy said...

Sorry you both had the virus, I hope you are feeling better! It's good that things are beginning to quiet down for you. That POD quilt is adorable. I'm planning to do Yvonne's QAL too, but I still need to get the fabric. I can't decide on a color -- too many choices!

canuckquilter said...

Lovely POD :) I love bright colors for baby quilts. It sounds like you have a good plan for Rory's quilt. Enjoy the QAL!

Pamela said...

The whales are wonderful! I like your idea for Rory's quilt too!

Puppilalla said...

Eli's quilt-to-be looks so happy already. The grouping of whales is very cute. I hope you are feeling better and that everyone is on the mend.

Preeti said...

While I am glad that YOU finished your goal for September (cute whales you have here), I will need every waking hour till the 29th to finish mine. 30th is meant for pictures and blogging to make the deadline. BARELY.
Love love love the fabric pull for Rory's quilt. Looks like giraffes are in fashion today. Did you see Lorna's giraffes? They stole my heart.

Cheryl said...

I love the whales especially the really big one. They all go very well together.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Oh, those whales!!! Cutest quilt ever!!!

Steffi said...

Die Wale sind wunderschön!

Kaja said...

I'm glad things are settling down a bit for you and that you have achieved your September goal. The whales are very cool - perfect for a child's quilt, and I like the next bunch of animal fabrics too; sawtooth stars sounds like a good approach to me.

Unknown said...

Those whales are so darn cute, love them ! I see you have shweshwe fabric, I love making quilted bags with shweshwe as it is a bit heavier than quilting cotton, such lovely bright colours.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

The whale pod quilt for Eli is a whale of a quilt, he will love it. And the fabrics for Rory are great too, sawtooth will be perfect. Like yourself, I wasn't taking on any new projects, too many to finish, but am looking forward to Yvonne's transperancy qal. Glad you are doing it too, and Cindy. Thankfully the family are all keeping better, maybe your hump is over.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I love Eli's quilt, you used some wonderful colours and the extra row looks part of the pattern. He is going to love it.

Patty said...

This turned out so wonderful - jut love that pattern. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Sandra Walker said...

Look for some wood to touch LOL. I hear you though. Didn't tell you the night we picked B&B up at the airport for their visit a few weeks ago, Joe backed into neighbours' of Dayna and Tyler (other daughter) brand new 3 day old truck. Thank GOD the husband had common sense; the wife did not. All is fine, not a mark on their vehicle, not quite so lucky on ours but still... Great fabric choices for Rory's quilt! Eli's is adorable; watched most of (speed-watching) Elizabeth's class on Craftsy, might have to buy it. Glad the virus wasn't too bad.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the whales quilt Lisa! I'm sure my daughter would love it too!

quiltingbydawn said...

Love the whales especially the large one across the whole quilt!

Nicole said...

Great looking whale quilt! I love being able to modify patterns to make it work for our own needs. And your fabric pull for the other quilt looks great. Sawtooth stars are always fun. Have a great weekend.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I love the whales!! So adorable. I hope you're feeling better.