Saturday 28 January 2017

Allison Glass Quilt Finish!

     I did it!  I finished my Allison Glass Challenge quilt .  I haven't posted for a while because this quilt is pretty much all I've done quilting wise besides sorting through fabric and then cutting fabric for my local guild.  But I've got it done and here it is.


      I took the quilt out to the front porch to take some photos.  After two weeks of no snow and very grey skies, mother nature decided to bring back winter  with some snow.  It's still pretty grey though so I had to brighten the photos.

     My Allison Glass fabric is from the "Hand Made" collection.  It's been in my stash for a couple of years and it was high time I used it.  I was really happy when Yvonne of Quilting Jet Girl decided to hold an Allison Glass Challenge and  link up and challenged us to make something with our Allison Glass fabrics.  Because the fabrics in this collection are fairly large scale I decided to use simple 15" square plus blocks to show them off.   The background fabric is a Kafe Fasset Shot Cotton. It looks yellow on many computers but it's really a yellow/green. The backing is an Amy Butler fabric Dew which is part of the Forest Line, if I'm reading my selvedge correctly.



     I used my walking foot to quilt organic wavy lines, lengthwise down the quilt.  The batting is a very thin cotton, thinner than I would like.  My local quilt shop recently closed (insert sad face here) and I am still figuring out the battings at the alternative shop across town.  It's not a exactly a quilt shop.  It's more of a cheap junk shop that also sells tons of fabric some of which is quilting fabric.  The material is not well organized and there is little in the way of customer service, but they do have some good fabric and I managed to find my backing fabric there.  


     
      This finish is my first finish of the 2017 FAL first quarter.  The original list is here and the button is in the side bar.  It's also my OMG for January but I missed the deadline for posting the initial goal.  I'm linking it up with Yvonne (Quilting Jet Girl) for the Allison Glass Challenge link up.  I'll also link up with Beth at Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday because this quilt has been my main crush for a while, and with Finish it Up Friday which is hosted at Summer Lee Quilts this week.  Now if only we would get some sun.

24 comments:

Ariane said...

What a great finish!! This quilt is beautiful!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Lovely finish Lisa. Your Alison Glass fabrics are beautiful and the design shows them off well. I do like your organic quilting, it's something I haven't done before and on this quilt it is very effective. I sympathise with losing your local quilt shop, I have two with in a seven mile radius although they both sell more traditional fabrics and neither sell Alison Glass, sad.

Puppilalla said...

The quilt looks a treat. So pretty and inviting. Quilt shops that stock the fabrics I am into are hard to find too here in Berlin. Thus I have to buy mostly online but that presents its own problems like postage, import taxes and VAT. Ah well, best to use what I have on hand first =)

Maryse said...

Congratulation on your lovely finish! I made a quilt with this collection a while back and it was a blast!!

Chantal said...

Congratulations Lisa. You did a fantastic job. I think the quilting is perfect being as modern as the prints. ;^)

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm really sorry to hear that your local quilt shop closed, but I'm glad you were able to find the backing at the other store in your town. The shot cotton looks wonderful with the handmade line, it really pulls out the secondary colors in many of the prints. You worked hard to get this quilt completely finished and it is wonderful. Thank you so much for linking up!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

The shot cotton works really well, the yellow tint makes an interesting change to an all white background. I love the backing fabric too. Shame about your lqs, mind you your junk shop sounds as if it might reveal some treasures. The fabric shop I use for batting sells all sorts of fabric I cant imagine anybody using but now and again it has something surprising.

Raewyn said...

Gorgeous finish Lisa. Nice to have a challenge to spur us onto making/completing something! Sad to hear about your lqs closing; I worry about mine when I hear lots of talk about online shopping.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It's awesome. I love the wavy quilting. We don't have snow, but it's still grey and dreary, which makes it difficult for photos.

Pamela said...

This quilt is so bright and cheerful! Great finish.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Those wavy lines are the perfect quilting choice Lisa! I haven't tried them yet, but definitely want to now. I'm sorry about your local shop closing. I'm lucky to have several in my area, but generally only shop at one of them. Your quilt is lovely. The simple design really allows those fabrics to show off. I love a good plus quilt! Thanks for linking up to MCM!

Jayne said...

This is so pretty and a great use of Alison Glass fabric! I'm happy to see you used this fabric...I have a stack that has been sitting for several years too! I really planned on joining the party but never quite got my 'Alison' on!

www.hudsonvalleyquilts.com said...

I love this pattern. I think the fabrics you chose make this pattern pop more than I have seen it done it done in the past. Congratulations on a lovely finish!!

Bernie Kringel said...

Great finish - it shows off the AG fabric beautifully.
I hear it is really cold in your part of the world today. Stay warm!!

Tish Stemple said...

Congrats on your first finish and what a pretty finish it is! Loving all those beautiful bright AG fabrics.

Mary said...

Lisa,, what a lovely quilt. I have some of this Handcrafted fabric in my stash, and you have inspired me to possibly use it with a simple design so that the fabric is really highlighted as it is with your Allison Glass quilt. Take care, Mary.

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

It is wonderful! This pattern shows off those saturated colors so well and the binding color frames is perfectly. Great finish! 😊

Preeti said...

This is just my kinda quilt - bright, big blocks, and wavy line quilting. Your quilt rocks and you are the winner!!!

Lorna McMahon said...

Love those big plus blocks and what a perfect way to show off all those yummy fabrics! Of course, you know, I am a big fan of the wavy line quilting.... Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful quilt! I love plus signs and really like the light yellow background, it goes really well with the plus sign prints.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish! :)

Kaja said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish. Your simple blocks really showcase the gorgeous fabrics and I like your pale background a lot; it's subtle but I think enhances the other colours in a very effective way.

JanineMarie said...

The yellow green in the outdoor photos shows up well on my computer. I really like it, and I bet it's even better in person with those shot threads. It's always sad to hear that a local quilt store has closed. It's so much fun to pet the fabric when you buy. I'm glad you found a backing at the other store.

Sarah said...

How great that you rescued your Alison Glass fabrics from your stash and made such a fun, bright quilt from them! Much better in use than on a shelf, but I know how hard it can be to finally use fabrics we love and have been keeping for a while. Great finish for FAL! On behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts, thank you for participating in this quarter's FAL.