Monday 16 January 2017

A Weekend Trip

    


  On Friday I boarded a Greyhound bus to Toronto at 7:55 in the morning.  You see Bernie from Needle and Foot was there celebrating her son's wedding and we arranged to meet each other!  Leaving so early in the morning I forgot to bring my camera so no smiling photos of us, but there are some awesome photos of the wedding on instagram.  We met in her hotel lobby and headed to a nearby coffee shop where we chatted for oh about an hour and a half about our families, our quilting plans, how we got into blogging.....  What fun to meet another quilt blogging friend in person.

     It was a beautiful day and after Bernie went back to her family I walked around the city for a bit and then I went to the Textile Museum which is one of my favourite places in Toronto.  There were a couple of exhibits of woven textiles on display.  One display  was a on the works of weaver Sheila Hicks. I found her works to be very beautiful and inspirational.  There was also lot's of inspiration to be found during the walk, in building design and furniture in shop windows. I have to say I'm finding the 2017  30 quilt design challenge to be a lot of fun.  I'm starting to see designs everywhere and learning how to take the things I see and shift them into something I could possibly make into a quilt.  I also find using coloured pencils to be very relaxing in the evening.

     I stayed with my daughter overnight and Dwight came in to meet us for brunch in the morning.  We went to a lovely little cafe called Cocoa Latte and from there we went to the local food market at the Wychwood Barns.  Before we drove home Dwight and I visited my aunt and brought her a wing backed chair that he found for her.  She is still doing fairly well and we are hoping that she can stay in her apartment for as long as possible.


     I spent the rest of Saturday and most of Sunday working on my Allison Glass quilt.  I managed to finish all the blocks and now I am putting the quilt top together.  I'm hoping to quilt it by the end of the month, but I do need to find a backing fabric and some batting as well. Are you working on an Allison Glass project for the challenge link up.  I'm really pleased that Yvonne decided to host this challenge as it encouraged me to actually make something with the "Hand Made" fabric that has been in my stash for quite some time. I'm linking up with Beth at Main Crush Monday and with Lorna at Let's Bee Social as well.

18 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

How wonderful that you and Bernie had time to get together, that makes me so happy to hear! I definitely enjoyed seeing the photos she shared on Instagram of the wedding. :)

I am also very excited that the link up encouraged you to make something with your fabrics in your stash; it looks like you made great progress this weekend!

Nicole said...

Your quilt is looking lovely! And I'm glad you had a fun day in Toronto. I wish I could get back to the textile museum now that I'm a quilter. When I lived in TO I was in love with theatre and costumes and so that was my focus. Bata Shoe Museum is another fun way to spend some time.

Chantal said...

Sounds like you had a great time with Bernie. I love visiting museum too. So much to see and learn. Allison looks great. Enjoy the sewing. ;^)

Stitchin At Home said...

How nice to meet a fellow blogger in person. I try to avoid Toronto if at all possible.

Tish Stemple said...

Your Allison Glass quilt is looking great! Seeing everyone participating in the challenge makes me want to run out and get some of those pretty fabrics. How very cool that you and Bernie got to meet up and spend some time together. I love how when we eventually get to meet our online friends, there is a wonderful comfortableness, like we've just all known each other for ever. I followed her pictures on Instagram this weekend and somehow missed the fact that they were in your neck of the woods.

Raewyn said...

It sound like you had a great time meeting Bernie - I always enjoy meeting people I've known through blogging. I was disappointed I ran out of time to visit the Textile Museum when I was in Toronto - I had such a short stay there. Your blocks are looking great - happy sewing!

Bernie Kringel said...

Hi Lisa, I am so glad we were able to have a bit of a visit! Thank you so much for making the trek into Toronto. It was so nice to get to know you just a bit better. I am sure I will be back to Toronto again with Kyle living there now. Next time, hopefully I will have more time to hang out and check out some fabric stores or the Textile museum. I regretted not getting a picture of us together! It was such a crazy weekend.

We got back home late last night and we are all just exhausted. It's always nice to come home tho.

Your Alison Glass project is going to be lovely!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

how great to get to meet a fellow blogger and spend time chatting and having coffee. The wing back chair will be good for your aunt, we bought one for my father too. Your Alison Glass challenge is coming on really well. A fabric I don't have and now wish I did!

Jayne said...

I can only imagine how fun it was to meet someone from blogland! I'm sure you and Bernie had a wonderful time and now have an even stronger bond! I have ideas for an Alison Glass quilt for the challenge, but haven't put it into action ...yet!

Lorna McMahon said...

What a delightful post! So glad to hear you and Bernie got to meet up in real life. And that you had an enjoyable time in TO. Your AG blocks are so pretty!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Sounds like a lovely trip - meeting blogging friend, exploring the city and spending time with family.

JanineMarie said...

The picture of your Allison Glass project is certainly "sunlight in winter!" Such cheerful prints for this time of year. How fun that you got to get together with Bernie and spend time with family. A perfect little getaway!

Rachel said...

Very pretty! I really like that blue plus where the colors transition from red to gold! Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

How wonderful that you and Bernie got to get together! Sounds like a fun weekend. Looking forward to seeing your finished Alison Glass quilt.

Preeti said...

I love the bright prints against the white/cream background. Sharp contrasts are my favorite. I am sure it will become a gorgeous quilt. Meeting quilty friends is the best :-)

Sarah@123quilt said...

I love your AG challenge quilt! I can't wait to see the finished top. Also, I think it's so neat that you and Bernie got to meet up. Fun!

Kaja said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time in Toronto. Your quilt is looking striking - I like the AG fabrics set against the neutral background.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend. It was nice that you got to meet Bernie. Good luck with your Alison Glass quilt.