Thursday 2 August 2018

Throw Back Thursday

     I've been meaning to write this throwback Thursday post for a long time.  Ever since say February when I took the photos of the quilt on my back porch.

 .     
     I made the quilt top several years ago in a workshop at my quild with local quilting instruction Deb Beirnes.  It's a modified pineapple block made with a jelly roll.  I remember it took me forever to find a jelly roll that I liked and I think I ordered this one from Fabric Shack.  It's a Malka Dubrowski line and truth be told I would have preferred it in her brighter colour way but I couldn't get a hold of it.  If you know me you know I love bright.  



     The blocks came together pretty quickly as did the quilt top and Deb had suggested we make a border using the contrasting fabrics along with the left over fabrics from the triangles.  She had done this on her quilt and it looked awesome.  This suggestion however was my undoing.  I tucked the quilt away thinking I would get to that fancy border later.  The quilt top sat and it sat and it sat and finally last fall I decided to donate it to our guilds comfort quilt program.



     I matched it up with a plaid backing donated by Donna and put it into a kit which was picked up by one of our long arm quilters.  They did an awesome job don't you think.  This quilt made it's way to the Sexual Assault Domestic Violence unit and hopefully one day it will bring someone some comfort.  Maybe it already is.  I'm linking up with Sandra at MMMquilts for Throwback Thursday.

11 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I think it looks great without the border. I can understand how getting to that point could really put a pause on getting the project finished. I am sure it will bring someone much needed comfort.

Sandra Walker said...

Oh I like this Lisa! I like that you give to the SADV centre, as do I each year now for 3 years (well this years isn't quite done yet). I specify for a child. It's beautiful quilt and I love the backing too. Thanks for sharing it with TBT!

piecefulwendy said...

I like this quilt. It makes me want to curl up under it with a good book. It's great that you donated the quilt to such a worthy cause, Lisa! And I like it without any fancy border!

Pamela said...

Gorgeous finish! I'm sure the recipient will feel loved.

Paige said...

I think it's got nice pops of color contrasting with darker corners and will bring great comfort to someone in need! The curvy quilting looks nice against the angles. Beautiful finish!

JanineMarie said...

I like it just the way it is. I think it’s neat that a call for donations prompted you to finish it. It was just waiting for the right reason to be, and I’m sure it’s giving someone comfort already. The diagonal plaid on the back is a wonderful complement to the colorful front.

Stitchin At Home said...

Who needs a border I like it just the way it is! I'm sure it will bring comfort to the recipient.

Louise said...

Putting on the borders is often a place where my quilts get "stuck." It's a different thinking and sewing process from piecing, I think. I'm glad you moved this one forward because it looks super just as it is. Very modern and bold, which I love! And I'm always happy to see quilts donated to great causes, as you know :)

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, that's a lovely quilt, and I understand about bright colours and fancy borders. I love fancy borders but by the time I finish piecing a quilt, I don't want any borders, let alone fancy. One day I want to actually make a quilt based on a fancy border....one day :-)

Nicole said...

I like this one! And I am also a fan of bright colours but I think this one really works.

Moment of Great Enthusiasm said...

Grrateful for sharing this