Sunday, 8 July 2018
Mid Year Review
It's time to get real. It's half way through 2018 and time to look back at the goals for the year and see how things are going.
So let's have a look at those goals.
1. Continue playing with colour and fabric and quilting techniques like improv and maybe some bias strips. Step one for this goal will to be to set aside a time each week to focus on this kind of play. I've got some ideas I'd like to play with and I love this type of work so it needs space. (I have not made the space for this goal at all. But I did check some art type books out from the library last week so there is always hope.)
2. Continue to work on free motion and walking foot quilting techniques. I'm planning on joining Jess of Quilty Habit in her FMQ QAL. I'm not sure if I'll do a quilt as you go, or just work on the assignments. ( at first glance I thought I was failing miserably here but then I realized I have been practicing these skills as I finish quilts, just not with the quilt along.)
3. Complete at least three of my Craftsy Classes. Since most of these are quilting classes, this will help me to work on goal number 2. as well. (Not getting a lot done here either, but I am excited to say that I will be in one of Christina Camelli's classes at Quilt Con so I am motivated now.)
4. Complete at least 6 quilts. I've got two baby quilts to finish and I will be making a wedding quilt as well. ( O.K. Here's where I am rocking it! I've finished four quilts so far this year so I am ahead on this goal!)
1. Continue to aim for 2 posts a week. This is a big goal given that I didn't manage even one a week last year. But my life circumstances have changed somewhat so it might be do able. ( Honestly I set this goal at two a week hoping I can get one a week done, and I'm doing o.k. here)
2. Share more of the community outreach work on the blog. That should help with the goal 1 for this section. ( Yes I've been doing this)
1. Spend time with my sister doing fun things. (Well we did go to the spa once.)
2. Go to the Art Gallery in Toronto more often ( Nope)
3. Figure out some better cooking, cleaning and eating strategies.(Nope)
4. Get back to daily goal setting and reflection. (Daily is not going to happen.)
As I look to my goal setting for the rest of the year I have a confession to make. I am a procrastinator. If you are one as well and you feel shame around this I want you to go here and listen to this interview. I've heard it twice on CBC radio and it is very insightful. My main take away, is that I'm deadline driven not task driven. That is why when I saw that Christina Camelli would be teaching at quilt con I went to one of my Craftsy classes and started to work on it again. Now that I have gotten in to one of her classes I am motivated to keep on with it. I've got to get those skills up before the class. ( Yes I managed to get into a Christina Camelli class and I am super excited!)
I'm thinking I need deadlines for my future goal setting and I'm going to give it a whirl here. My goals for the next 6 months.
1. Set one play day for July and one play day for August. Evaluate after that and see how it goes moving forward.
2. Complete the two Christina Camelli Craftsy classes by the end of the year.
3. Continue to work on quilting skills as I finish my own quilts.
4. Continue working on quilt completion and surprise myself with how many I complete above 6.
I'll leave the blogging goals as they stand.
Personal Goals: This one is so hard.
1. Spending time with my sister is a bit hard because it is also dependant upon her and her life is still in flux. So I'll make a goal to see her once in the summer and see where things go in the Fall after my nephew gets married.
2. Go to the Art Gallery once each month in the summer.
3. Develop the habit of doing the 5 minute pickup each day.
Work towards bringing my lunch to work each day. Come up with a reward for reaching these goals.
4. Set goals for the week. Move daily reflection to the evening.
Well I'm ready to move ahead and we will see how things go for the rest of the year. I'm linking up with Yvonne for the Mid Year Review link up.