Tuesday 24 July 2018

Fireburst Mystery Update.

     I don't know about you but I get tired of working on the same project forever and ever. This could explain why it takes me forever to get things done.  Anyhow it is no surprise that after making two additional blocks for the Quilters Planner sampler quilt I took a break to work on something else.



     I'm all caught up with the Fireburst Mystery quilt along.  When I first learned to make flying geese I learned the four at a time method which is very popular with many quilters.  Now that I have made them using the traditional method in both this quilt and the QP sampler I can say that I much prefer this traditional way of making them as the results are more accurate.

     I've had to cut back a bit on my sewing.  I spent two days in a row babysitting the boys and my back has been complaining.  I'm hoping to get in with an osteopath but they all seem to be booked up. So I'll just have to get by with my stretches I guess.  

     I'm still hoping to get the QP quilt top finished by the end of the month, although I am sneaking in a day to visit my daughter in the big city of Toronto on Saturday.  

     Please hold Toronto in your thoughts as there was a mass shooting there on Sunday night.  This happened in the neighbourhood where my sister and her daughter and partner just bought a house. Emma and Cam had been at a patio on the street where the shooting occurred and left to go home 15 minutes before the gunman arrived.  These things are just so hard to process and knowing that the two people who died where just 18 and 10 years old is heartbreaking.  

     I don't want to leave you on that sad note so I'll share with you that Eli is walking!  Just a couple of steps at a time but he thinks he is all that and then some.  He is also learning some words, all the important B words like ball and block and book and bubble along with the important people words like mommy and daddy and nana and grandaddy and grandmommy.  Juice and shoes are in the vocabulary as well.  

     I'm off to link up with Let's Bee Social and
Main Crush Monday ( even though it's Tuesday)
and for the first time with the Chameleon's Colour Party

15 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

My back is hurting right now, too, Lisa. It's much improved over the last 24 hours and I hope you are feeling better just as quickly (I lifted heavy solar panels on Saturday!). I do like the traditional way of making flying geese better than the 4 at a time method as well; I do seem to do a better job of it. I'll be holding you and your sister's family in my thoughts.

Pamela said...

Gorgeous! I love the bright colors. Your blocks always look so accurate.

Paige said...

I'm with you, I like the traditional method of making flying geese as well! Wonderful report about Eli walking and talking! We mush cherish each moment and be prepared for we know not what tomorrow holds!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

You're right that it is heartbreaking. I was born in Canada and always felt that it was a slower, kinder place to live. Now with terrorism and gun violence happening there, it just sickens me. What a waste of two wonderful young lives. It's just horrible. I'm glad your family is ok.

Cheryl said...

I sometimes have issues with the precision of the no-waste method. I have found that sizing the blocks up and then trimming with my bloc loc ruler works best for me.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

I still have to play catch up wit this . I was disturbed to hear about the shooting in Toronto . It's dreadful . I'm glad your family are ok .

Lisa J. said...

Hi. None of the recent violence in Toronto has been linked to terrorism. Mental health issues and gang violence which are both social problems that need addressing.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I hadn't heard about the shooting in Toronto. I will be praying for the families involved. Which is pretty much everyone who lives there or has family that lives there. So sorry. Eli is really growing up. All those fun milestones.

Louise said...

Your geese in lovely, bright happy colors, and your news of Eli's newest developments are so great to read about! Shining moments in a week with such sad news. I'm glad your family is safe, but they must be anxious and upset as well. They are in my thoughts.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, I'm so glad that your sister and family are all right. It hits you even more when it's a place you know. My thoughts are with the victims' families. Do enjoy your visit with your daughter.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I love these prints! Oh my...how scary it must have been for your sister and family.

piecefulwendy said...

I love the happy fabrics you've chosen for your Fireburst quilt. I'm caught up on that, but way behind on the QP quilt. I think I only have a couple blocks done! I was so sorry to read about the shootings in Toronto. So glad your sister and family weren't there when it happened, but so sad for those who lost their lives or were hurt. How fun to watch your grandson taking his first steps and saying words! Take care of you; hope your back heals quickly!

Sue said...

I love a dark blue background and this quilt will be stunning! Hope the back improves, a bad back is second only to a paper cut ;)

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

First off I love your blog name! I live in Northern California and though my winters are not harsh, we have a period of solid rain for days. The sunlight peeking through is always welcome. Your color palette for Fireburst is certainly invigorating. I relish your brights and the way then contrast with the navy. Also, I can relate to you on several levels. Yes some quilts do seem to take forever- but for me they stall at the layering and backing stage, I love the piecing. And as to your sore back - so sorry. My two year old granddaughter just stayed a week with us while her daddy was working a local renovation job. He brought Lillian along to give her mom a break with the four year old and 3 month old while he was away. She was a doll but right now my right knee and left arm are aching, aching, aching. From "pick me up", to "Grandma do it" when my husband tries to step in, I am downright tuckered out. Needless to say I spent no time quilting! They just left yesterday and I am a blob... I certainly enjoyed your post. My thoughts to Toronto. Hard to process those close calls with family. Difficult to understand how someone can be so motivated to be so violent. Maybe no one ever introduced them to quilting or a similar calming pasttime.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

We heard about the Toronto shooting all the way over here on the other side of the world and my heart ached for your country. I am glad your family is safe, and I hope you back is improved. I love how crisp your flying geese are and the colours. Thanks for sharing on Clever Chameleon :)