Monday 19 March 2018

Finding Joy in Colour

     I find I have had little time or energy for quilting lately.  I've come through a fairly busy time and I'm starting to wonder if this is how it will continue to be. We have also all been walking around with a virus we can't seem to shake.  I'm longing for Spring and some warmer weather, although I am grateful for the sunshine we have been having. I have made some slow progress on Postcard from Sweden.


     It's looking very beautiful don't you think?  It's an interesting process working on this quilt, a kind of paint by numbers approach which requires a great deal of concentration.  I'm not fussing too much about points as I'm sure no one will notice in all this colour.
     Working with all this colour is such a wonderful thing.  I find that each time I get to introduce a new colour I feel a burst of joy.  Seeing how colour and fabric play together is what feeds my quilting energy.  Oh, and I've started to warm up to Peach.


     This photo gives you an idea of my process. I make four blocks then pin them on the design wall in correct order.  I repeat that for the whole row, making three sections.  I repeat this for the next row.  Then I sew the two rows of section one together, followed by the two rows of section two. 



   I sew these three sections together then move on. I don't mark.  I do it all visually referencing the finished quilt.   It's interesting seeing how we all do this differently.  My way is working out o.k. so far, but it might get more complicated as I get further down the quilt.

     I'm hoping to get a little more progress done before the next link up, but I'm going on a small quilt retreat next weekend and this is not the kind of project I want to bring along.  I'm linking up with Main Crush Monday and with the Postcard from Sweden linkup as well.


     

21 comments:

Jayne said...

Its coming together and is going to be gorgeous!! I hope you finally shake the virus after effects. Spring cannot come soon enough!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

This does seem like a tricky quilt to take for a retreat. I think the color looks fantastic, and I hope that you can shake the virus and have a great time next weekend.

Bernie Kringel said...

Lisa, I was so tempted to join in this QAL but it seemed like I just have too many things in progress. I just love your quilt tho. It is gorgeous. I agree with you- this one wouldn’t be a good retreat project if it takes lots of concentration. We have also had the virus that won’t end at our house. I have been coughing for two months and it is so tiring. Hope you feel better soon.

Chantal said...

I think you have the perfect method to assemble this quilt. It is so beautiful already. It will be very awesome when it is all grown up. ;^)

Nicole said...

I too am finding 2018 off to an exhausting start. Your quilt looks lovely so far and I'm glad it is still pleasurable to work on. Hang in there!

Pamela said...

This is fantastic! Absolutely beautiful!

Puppilalla said...

This looks good so far. I like all the triangles and solids. I have yet to start a project that only works with solids. I hope you get the best of that virus soon. Try putting a warm hot water bottle on your chest before going to spllep. That helps me with bad coughs that do not wish to lift.

piecefulwendy said...

You're making good progress, Lisa! It's a slow process quilt, I think, with having to pay attention to color and block orientation. I haven't quite warmed up to peach yet :-) I hope you enjoy your retreat, and also hope that virus gets out of your system soon.

Stitchin At Home said...

Looking good! Great way of keeping pieces in order.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it is beautiful! Hope you are feeling better soon - maybe the longer daylight will help?

Julie Cefalu said...

I love the play of color in this project! This seems like the best kind of medicine if you ask me. I hope you're feeling better soon.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

So we are at the same point, in fact I thought your photo was my photo when glancing down the blog lists! Except your is ironed. I am making mine in straight strips, but I think I prefer yours. More interesting and would see quicker progress I think.
Enjoy your retreat and most importantly, look after youself.

Tish Stemple said...

Hopefully Spring is right around the corner. I do hope you guys are able to get rid of the virus, sick is never fun :( Hopefully, your Postcards quilt will continue to brighten things up. It's looking great.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

It's looking great. Well done. I can't wait for spring to arrive.

Cheryl said...

I love the rainbows of this quilt and totally agree with you that I am ready to get rid of the lingering colds and have some warmer weather.

Preeti said...

It is indeed looking beautiful. Sending hugs and warm wishes so that you may recover completely. We are all looking forward to Spring. Hope she comes soon.

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

It's beautiful. There's always something so wonderful about solid color HSTs.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Your quilt is looking great! I didn't start the Postcard one but I sure would have liked to. I didn't need another new project but I will make it sometime. How large will yours be?

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, I hope that you're feeling better - your quilt is awesome. Those colours make my heart sing too!

Walkers Road Quilts said...

So pretty. This is a quilt that I have wanted to make.

Kaja said...

This is very beautiful - I can see why it lifts your spirits.