Monday 14 November 2016

Bee Day!

    I keep thinking things will settle down somewhat with my life, but it doesn't seem to be happening.  This month we've had a couple of evening trainings for my job and we held the Quilt Bee for the Community Outreach Committee of my local guild "The Royal City Quilter's Guild".  We have a sub group of our committee (thank you Ann an Alyson) that does the bulk of the work for the Bee Day but there is a lot of prep work the rest of us have to do as well.

     I love Bee Day!  It's so much fun quilting with a group from the guild.  Twenty six of us turned up and set to work making blocks and sewing kits together.  I was able to spend time with quilting friends and to get to know some newer members a little better.  Two of the quilt tops came home with me and I'd like to share them here with you.


     Carol and I worked on putting this quilt together. This is the best shot I could get of it.  It's in the shadows because the sun is so bright at this time of year that whites and yellows where washing out in the other pics. The pattern is Star Bright designed by Katie Blakesly and offered for free on her blog Swim Bike Quilt.  This is the baby size with the blocks sized up to 7 1/2".  I love this quilt for it's simplicity in construction and it's striking graphic design.

     Wendy put this next quilt together.

     
     This is the Akito pattern by Pat Fryer of Villa Rosa Designs, again adapted to fit our size requirements.  Both of these quilts tops came together in a few hours.  I'm always on the lookout for simple patterns that make up quickly into quilts, as we donate between 80 and 100 quilts a year.

     I'm heading over to Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts to say hello to Beth and the other quilter's who have linked up there.  I hope that you all found time to quilt this past weekend.

11 comments:

Jayne said...

How fun getting together with so many like minded people!! I always look forward the that one day a month when I can get together with our guild!

Vicki in MN said...

I too had a sewing day with friends recently, always a fun time! I like both those quilts, the star one is on my list to do for donation quilts. The second quilt-simple blocks put together in creatively makes a great quilt. I could so do that one as I have charms cut from stash!

Pamela said...

Both of these quilts are very appealing. What a great thing to do!

Tish Stemple said...

Both of these quilt are so beautiful and will bring lots of joy to their new homes once they are finished. Lisa, that is quite an impressive amount of quilts that you guys donate each year.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

The only thing better than sewing is sewing with friends. Sounds like you had a great day and the quilts are lovely.

Unknown said...

The quilts look good and what a nice day we had

Sue said...

Sounds like you had a great day out! Love the quilts that came out of it!

Lena Pugacheva said...

So nice that you had a good time, and also managed to do a lot of work, both tops tuned out nicely, the on made by Wendy has all my favorite colors in it))).

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Bee day sounds like a lot of fun. The quilt top you worked on is striking and I look forward to seeing how you quilt both the tops you brought home!

Summer said...

Beautiful quilts ♥

Deb Chimes said...

I've given up on hoping life will settle down any time soon. I hope next year will be quieter although that's probably just wishful thinking :) These are both lovely quilts. It's always much more fun quilting with a group!