Friday 12 August 2016

Midsummer Catch Up

     I thought I would post a little catch up on some of the things going on around here right now.  I've been finding it difficult lately to keep up with my quilting goals and commitments but I have managed to get a couple of quilt blocks done. Here's my Stash Bee  block for August.



     This was a fun little project to make , an improv washi block.  Lee was sad to have missed out on the Rashida Coleman Washi fabric so she had us make her some.  I looks great doesn't it.

     Abigail of the wonderful blog Cut and Alter  nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award.  I was really touched by this nomination because I  love her blog and I count Abigail among my blogging friends.  Thank you Abigail!

     Although I was nominated for this award just over a year ago I decided to accept it again because I think it is a great way to highlight some of the other blogs that I have recently discovered and love.



The Rules:

*Thank the person who nominated you, and give a link to his/her blog.
*List the rules.
*Display the image of the award on your post.
*List seven facts about yourself.
*Nominate (up to) 15 bloggers for this award, and notify them to let them know you have nominated them.

     So here are 7 facts about me.

1.  In conjunction with collecting fabric I also have collected quite a few fair trade African baskets.  Here's the latest addition to the collection.  It's quite large and I'm using it to store quilt tops waiting to be quilted.


2.  I am participating in the Cloud Nine Cirrus Solids block challenge.  You don't need the photo as I'm sure you've seen it already.

3.  I have recently taken on the job of co chairing the community outreach committee at my local guild. You can read about this program in the tab above This should keep me super busy so you may be seeing more donation quilts on the blog and less of my own projects.

4.  I'm going to Quilt Con in 2017. I'm not sure  I can really afford this but most of the money is spent already and I'm really excited to be going.

5.  Just under 5 months ago I became a grandmother to this lovely little cherub.   Dwight took this great photo of Gabriel and me the last time we visited with him and his parents.


6.  I'm not great with computers but I recently opened  an instagram account "sunlight in winter quilts"  with the help of my co worker Erin and the wonderful Helen of Midget Gems Quilts.  (thanks Helen).  If you have a chance check out her blog.  She has a wicked sense of humour.

7.  Until I started quilting I hated the colour pink...but now I quite like it.

   So now I get to nominate some other bloggers for the award.  Some of these quilters have been around for a while and some are brand spanking new.  I hope you enjoy visiting their blogs as much as I do.

Carrie of Zen Quilter
Amanda of This Mom Quilts

      There could be many more names on this list...but here's a start.  Please go and visit these bloggers and spread the love.  While you are there tell them I said hi.   Lisa
And to spread the love a little further I'm linking up with Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts for Lets Bee Social.












15 comments:

Janelle said...

Re #7, I used to feel the same way about green, but now I love it! Well, just for quilting...I still won't wear it!

Alice Samuel's Quilt Co said...

Thank you so much for nominating me Lisa!!! This means a lot 😀. I'll get working on my post ASAP!

Gina said...

I'm slowly growing to love pastels over the last few months. I never thought I'd say that back when I started quilting xx

Marly said...

Congratulations on the award, Lisa. You didn't like pink; I didn't like navy blue! Last year my Rainbow Scrap quilt had navy blue as the background colour, metres and metres of it! Lovely little boy: he looks lively and inquisitive: perfect!

the zen quilter said...

Oh Lisa, I just saw this after you emailed me. I love the washi quilt block. I'm assuming the strips are washi tape or are they just meant to look like it? Your grandson is so cute - I don't have any yet, but my niece and nephew are both having babies in the next month or so, so it's almost as good. I will be at Quiltcon, too. We must meet up there. I so love it, and I'm excited to see Savannah - never been there before.

Kaja said...

Gabriel is gorgeous! I'm glad you did the One Lovely Blog again; there are some blogs here I didn't know and it's always fun to find new people.

Puppilalla said...

Thanks for sharing those facts with us. I like the basket and Dwight looks just so happy on your arm. I am jealous that you are going to Quilt Con next year. well, no not jealous - happy for you - but I sure wish I could go too =)

Tish Stemple said...

Congrats on being nominated! Gabriel is soooo cute! I didn't realize you were going to Quilt Con. I'd love to figure out a way to go. I still need to explain this all to David. I think it was very sweet that you nominated him. We've had kind of a crazy week/weekend so there wasn't a whole lot of quilting or quilting talk going on.

Leanne Parsons said...

I love that block!! Enjoy QuiltCon...one of these days I'll get to go :)

Jayne said...

That looks like a fun block to make! Congrats on the nomination! Its a great way to recognize other bloggers and learn more about each of them too! Sweet little baby face...those cheeks!

Preeti said...

That is a fun block, indeed. It would definitely help with scrap control, while letting go of the rules. I see it as a Win -Win.
Hugs,
Preeti.

Margo Yang said...

Love your washi block! I'm too drawn to improv piecing.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

Can't believe I missed this post, but its been a frantic week here. Love the photo of Gabriel and yourself, I am sure he gives you a lot of pleasure. And I am so jealous of you going to quilt con... oh to live in USA. That will be so much fun. I love your washi block, I must file that in my to do list. And, thank you so much for the Mention! It was a pleasure. I just hope I didn't "teach" you all wrong!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I can see that you are smitten with Gabriel! He does look like a beautiful cherub. :) I am so glad life seems to be in a good balance for you right now!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Congratulations on your award Lisa, you so deserve it. It is lovely getting to know you better, and what a beautiful happy boy. I doubt if I will ever get to Quilt Con, but I will look forward to hearing your experience.
Smiles
Kate