Friday 10 June 2016

Rainbow Rose Quilt Along Week Two

     For week two of the Rainbow Rose Quilt Along we cut out our background fabrics and sewed the middle blocks.  I decided to use the white and grey fabric as background in this quilt after getting so many compliments on it in my last post.  I'll use something else for my other project.

     After posting my photo last week and seeing some of the fabrics chosen by other quilters, I decided I wanted more gradation between the colours in my pull.  I'm not sure if it's a good thing  or a bad thing that I live so close to my local quilt shop, but two trips to the store and I'm now happier with my fabrics.  I'll have lots of extra rainbow fabric left over so I'll have to plan some more rainbow goodness in my future.

     Here are the completed blocks.  Like Ruth I chose to use Red, Yellow, Turquoise and Purple for these parts of the quilt.


     Looking at the photo I just realized I sewed the points of the red block to the wrong side of the red squares.  I'll resew it so the pinky red is up near the pinks and the more orangey red is down with the oranges.  Have I mentioned that I have become really obsessive about how I want the fabrics to go together.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they flow together in the quilt.

     I'm adding my picture to the Modern Quilters Ireland, Rainbow Rose linkup.  I'm looking forward to seeing other peoples blocks.  If you'd like to join us you still can.

10 comments:

Pamela said...

Very pretty!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I think it is fascinating how just taking a moment to do something else or photographing our work can help us see it in a different way. It does sound like you are going to curate a beautiful quilt with your attention to detail! :)

Lena Pugacheva said...

Your blocks look great and the background really suits - the angular shapes echo the shapes of the block.

Cut&Alter said...

Oh Lisa these are lovely!! I hadn't seen the background fabric you have chosen before and it works wonderfully. I thought I was going to use white but changed to a light grey marble at the last moment. That's funny to hear you have become obsessive about fabric placement because it has taken me all week to finally cut and piece!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I'd never have noticed your mistake if you hadn't pointed it out. The background is lovely, you have some beautiful fabrics.

Sandra Walker said...

I just finished mine a few minutes ago and clicked the linky, and here you are! I am glad you are using that FABULOUS background fabric that I covet, LOL. I've gone into my stash and had some real fun and good thinking and playing and 'hmmm-ing'... I think you have one of the same purples as Yvonne does!

Ruth said...

Looks really lovely! I like your background fabric a lot and am thinking I should change mine now!

Tish Stemple said...

So pretty. This is going to look great, Lisa.

Lara B. said...

That's a beautiful start to your Rainbow Rose and I like the center fabrics you chose. Lisa, I hear ya on the obsessive.. it's hard not to do that with this quilt, LOL.

Puppilalla said...

Pretty oh my. thanks for sharing your progress!