Monday 13 June 2016

Bee Blocks

     One of the best things about quilt blogging is getting to know all sorts of quilters all around the world.  One of the best things about joining an online bee is trading blocks with  quilters in other places.  I've really enjoyed getting to know the other Stash Bee, Hive Eight bloggers this year.  I don't know the folks that aren't bloggers as well but perhaps if I was more active on instagram I might.  I got the instagram account a couple of weeks ago and I'm as slow as molasses in winter whenever I'm dealing with new (to me) technology.  My quilt blogging friend Helen has offered to help me with this and one of these days I'll take her up on this.

     Katrin who blogs at Puppilalla is the Hive Queen this month and she asked us to make the most awesome block.  It's pretty simple although she added a tricky bit to the middle.  Here's my version of her block.  I'm definitely putting this block in the block of the month idea file for my local guild.



     Katrin sent us the background fabric and choose a rich palette of warm patterned fabrics for the feature fabrics.  Imagine a whole quilt made  of such rich beautiful fabrics.  It's going to be amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing its completion.  Katrin is participating in the New Bloggers blog hop this year and I'm looking forward to reading her post on Wednesday July 13th.  

     Speaking of which, are you following the New Bloggers Blog Hop this year.  You can find the details at Yvonne's blog Quilting Jet Girl, or Cheryl's blog Meadow Mist Designs, or Stephanie,s blog Late Night Quilter.  

     I decided to crash Hive 9 this month. Martina, the Queen for Hive 9 chose an improv house block and I couldn't resist these cute little houses.  When I was cutting my fabrics for the Rainbow Rose Quilt Along (you can see my blog post here) I thought some of the fabrics would look great in the house blocks so lickity split, I made them up.


   
     I like these blocks so much I just might have to make a set for myself....and I'm sure to suggest them as a block of the month...maybe for both of the guilds I'm in.  I think traditional and modern quilters would have a blast making these blocks.I'm linking up this post for Lets Bee Social at Lorna's blog Sew Fresh Quilts.

14 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

That background color for Katrin is really stunning. She is going to have such a lovely quilt! And aren't the houses so much fun? I still think I'll make another set before I mail mine off. Thank you so much for mentioning the blog hop this year; I'm sure the bloggers appreciate your support!

Lena Pugacheva said...

Katrin's blog is definitely an eye-catcher and seems quite simple to out together, too - I love it when you can achieve great impact without too much effort))
I'm also following the new bloggers blog hop, really interesting because I'm a new blogger myself, only too new, because the registration for this year's hives was closed before I even started my blog))

Tish Stemple said...

Katrin's block is a great one and the colors you used with the background fabric just pop. I've never done a hive exchange but I love when I read that people from other hives "crash" other hives and make blocks. I just love it :)

Puppilalla said...

Hi Lisa, your Hive 9 houses are are so cute. I love the colours! (I know, no surprise there right? =)
And I am glad that you like my block choice and even consider, proposing it to one of your guilds.
As for the 'tricky bit'in the middle. It does not need to be tricky at all. What made it tricky, was that you only had the trimmed off triangle scraps to work with. If you have had more of the background fabric to work with, you could have treated it like any other HST. Basically cut a square, mark a line down the middle on its back, align along the edges, sew, cut off the surplus and fold over. So if happen to propose it, you might wish to make it easier for yourselves =)

Alison V. said...

These blocks look awesome! I just love seeing all of the fun blocks come out of the Stash Bee!

Unknown said...

Nice blocks Lisa

Ruth said...

Great blocks, beautiful colours and the house blocks are seriously cute!

Cut&Alter said...

I am really enjoying being part of a couple of Bees this year too. Wow - Katrin's quilt will be gorgeous with those strong, vibrant colours. What's your name on IG? x

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great block, I love the vibrant colours!

Cheryl said...

Both blocks are beautiful. I really like how the prints look against the blue fabric in the top bee block.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I love Katrins block. So rich and vibrant, Im looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. I don't blame you for hive crashing, I adore the little houses, so different.

Sandra Walker said...

Man I love both these blocks! Going to save this post for future reference. That one pink on turquoise fabric in the lower left of your block for Katrin? It looks like lace against the solid turquoise--love it! What is that fabric?

Pat said...

That turquoise block is so beautiful and I love those cute little houses.

Kaja said...

I love Katrin's block: the fabrics are so rich and gorgeous. Your little houses are cool too - I would definitely be making some for myself.