This is what is beside my sewing machine right now.
It's score 1 from the Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters. I'm working on it for a challenge for the Toronto Modern Guild. I'm thinking of calling it "Can't Cut with Scissors" as I have been finding cutting straight lines with scissors a little difficult, so some of the squares are turning into rectangles...but that will just make this piece my own I suppose.
Things have been fairly quiet on the blog over the last month or so this is because things have not been quite so quiet out in the rest of my life and squeezing in sewing time and blogging time has been a bit more difficult.
Many of you will know that my 87 year old aunt had a fall in February and this is what has taken up most of my time. My sister and I have been going into the city to visit her and check on her progress,meet with various health professionals and make arrangements with her apartment. It takes up a lot of time and it's emotionally exhausting.
There have been bright lights however. My nephew and his partner had their second child in February. Charlotte came so quickly into this world that she was delivered by her father under the guidance of the emergency operator. They live four hours away so I have yet to meet her but I've seen lot's of pictures and she's gorgeous.
And the most exciting thing for me is that my grandson was born yesterday morning. No sharing of pictures on the blog though so you will have to take my word for it that he is also gorgeous. Gabriel's most outstanding feature so far is that he has a full head of blond hair. My son was born with a full head of black hair. So he takes after both of his parents in the hair department. Other than that he so far seems to be the spitting image of his mother.
Here's something I managed to accomplish.
This is the March Stash bee block for Amanda. We were asked to make this scrappy cross block in shade of navy or shades of mint or shades of kelly green. One of the things about joining the stash bee is you get to see the limitations of your stash. I have no kelly green and only two mint green fabrics, and I have a lot of fabrics in my stash that are multi coloured. I did find three navy fabrics in my scrap bins that I hope work for Amanda. Here's a closeup of my fabrics.
The solid and the print with dragonflies are both Japanese fabric scraps left over from the quilt on my bed. I'll share it in a Throwback Thursday post some day. I'm not sure what Amanda has planned for her blocks but the inspiration quilt which you can find here is phenomenal.
So far I'm really enjoying making all these blocks. I get to see all these possible quilts that I could make. It's good to have possibilities don't you think. I'm linking up with Lets Bee Social to see what possibilities I can find over there.